Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: California winter wheat crop

Sprinkles are for winners.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

It's all about where it's grown, northern California has had some moisture events.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I just got back from Palm Desert. I was told the date palm orchards use 10 acre feet of water! This yields between 10,000 and 15,000 lb of dates/acre. All this water comes from the Colorado river, which no longer makes it to the ocean.
I saw quite a few acres of almonds pushed out on my way back through the valley for lack of water. Ironically more orchards were being planted, though under drop rather than flood irrigation. About time IMO.
It has rained a bit in California, so the good wheat doesn't surprise me. There is almost no snowpack though, so the later part of the season will be tough for water loving crops.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I guess I've never seen almonds in California using flood irrigation. Winter wheat is often for silage followed by cotton or something else in the summer. Wheat is a poor crop to compete with almost anything else of higher returns except for as a crop rotation under irrigation.

There's a surprising amount of Durum in the Yuma, Az area. Again, it's followed by a second crop.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I guess I didn't put it right....California
wheat would be similar to the corn
crop in Maryland.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'll be buying organic hard red winter from a farm near Pleasant Grove this fall. I'll let you know what it yields when the time comes. It is a rotation with popcorn, dry beans and alfalfa. In the past he has had yields near 100 bu/acre.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Palouser,
Have you ever been near Rosalia, WA? Just wondering what typical dryland DNS yields are there. Aweful dry looking area, I expect yields will be no more than 50 bu if we're lucky.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

there is alot of durum planted in arizona this year. very good contract prices but you have to put 300 pounds of nitrogen to get the protien. at the nitrogen prices makes it hard to make very much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

What is the protein requirement for Durham? Same as hard red spring?
0 Kudos