Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: California winter wheat crop

Thanks. What is "hvac"?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Rosalia is not too far from me. I'm near Palouse. We've certainly got good moisture this year. I'd say 60 bu is average under these conditions. The problem isn't the yield, it's the protein. A fair amount of spring wheat is DNS now. The varieties are getting fairly well adapted I'd say as local breeding advances. The guys I see doing it seem to stick with it. I don't grow it myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'll be heading up that direction in a month or two to walk the fields. Maybe I'll look you up and say hello. The variety we have planted there is Glee. We have a good market regardless of protein fortunately. Lower protein grain will be milled into cracked wheat.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Pal. Pushing out the old mature trees and planting new groves is actually a water conservation move.

The new ones will not have big water demands for three to five years. Short of fallowing the land that is one of the things they are doing to conserve water. They are hoping for better rain and snow in the future. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

OK....Pal....
Or it could simply be they will have no water allocation for that particular farm and the trees would/are dying. I would have a hard time penciling out water conservation if it required me to destroy my crop and invest in a new crop that doesn't mature for more than 5 years at which time there still may be no water. In any event, I am glad to see all the drip irrigation systems going in. I also saw shade cloths on an orchard ( younger orchard, some semi dwarf variety), which I guess would be to reduce transpiration.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I have seen orchard trees knocked down. Usually big old trees. And the last 5 years have seen an expansion in almond orchards as far north as Redding. And they all seemed to have drip irrigation on the young trees. And the rows and spacing could only be done with some sort of laser control it would seem.

When I came up from the south this year the almonds were in bloom from just north of Bakersfield to Redding at the other end of the 'Big Valley'. The San Juaquin/Sacramento valley is one of the agricultural wonders of the world.

0 Kudos