cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Can't say I'm surprised, China pauses .....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-01/china-halts-some-u-s-farm-imports-threatening-tra...

Chinese government officials told major state-run agricultural companies to pause purchases of some American farm goods including soybeans as Beijing evaluates the ongoing escalation of tensions with the U.S. over Hong Kong, according to people familiar with the situation.

I can't say I'm really surprised.  The was a glimmer of hope last winter but all that's happened since then, that glimmer isn't even an ember anymore.  Sonny kept saying "plant for the market".  That was pretty prescient of him. 

Well, I guess it's a good thing I cut back on soybeans. 

9 Replies
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Re: Can't say I'm surprised, China pauses .....

I'm hearing that this is temporary. They have ample supplies and can afford to halt purchases, for now.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Well, if that is true "eyeofthemarket", it means they won't come close to meeting their obligations.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

My opinion, before or after the big deal, remains that they’ll buy what they have to when they have to.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

IF you want to

Mean business W China just shut off imports of computers / Tech stuff and all other consumer goods. 

This Trump game regarding Agri products is a total flipping meaningless joke as a trade tool. 

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: IF you want to

Yes it is.

And no small part of how we drove blindfolded onto the 'rona freeway.

The POTUS had been trolled hard about his ag and trade fiascoes and was sucking up to Xi for two months before he had to turn around and blame him.

BTW, China loves him- US prestige and influence in the world is collapsing.

They don't deserve that, for myriad reasons.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Not to worry, just like BaBroke O, Bulbering Biden and Camilla the Harrasser, will fix that in the first 100 days.  :-)

Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Like the 'rona, any normal, functioning administration would have done better.

Pull anybody out of the '16 Republican or '20 Dem clown cars.

I think I'm probably safe on that statement even with Ben Carson or Marianne Williamson.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

TPP plus multilateral pressure on China through WTO would have been the way to go, as far as agriculture was concerned.

That's all in the rearview mirror now and nobody really has a plan, other than to pay farmers for losses.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Looks like it was a diversion.  

0 Kudos