cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dekus
Contributor

Canadian production

the Canadian gov't says 8.5 to 12.5 million acres lost, don't know if that is unseeded acres or includes drowned out

and damaged acres. they just received another rain event, so may have increased damage. anyone with specifics, 

if such a thing (specifics) is possible, since everyone here has skin in the game.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Canadian production

This may be about as 'specific' as it gets for a while yet.

Have been stories in farm press in Ontario about it, usually quoting the Canadian Wheat Board so looked this up on their site.

"The excess rain has washed away the hope of seeding for many farmers," said Bruce Burnett, CWB director of weather and market analysis, at the annual CWB grain industry briefing this morning. "In many cases, these acres are just lost and will not see any crop."

In total, between 8.25 million and 12.5 million acres of farmland will go unseeded across the Prairies. The CWB is projecting the western Canadian seeded area for all wheat at 19.15 million acres, the smallest area since 1971 and an 18 per cent reduction from 2009-10. The area seeded to durum is expected to be 3.4 million acres, the smallest area since 1980 and down 39 per cent from 2009-10. The barley crop is looking at its lowest acreage since 1965. About 6.6 million acres of barley will be seeded, down 20 per cent from last year.

"Many areas got off to an early seeding start, but the extraordinary rains halted progress. Significant amounts of farmland remain unseedable at this late date," Burnett said. "On the other hand, some previously dry regions where planting took place early have benefitted from the rains."

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/newsroom/releases/2010/061110.jsp

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

dekus, if you are still looking for info on the Canadian Prairies there are numbers from Saskatchewan in this article.

http://www.fcc-fac.ca/newsletters/en/express/articles/20100618_e.asp#story_1

0 Kudos
Whitesand_Farms
Veteran Contributor

I am farming in western Canada and thats is unseeded acres. Only 70 % of the crop got planted in Saskatchewan, its been devastating rain after devastating rain. So now you have to add on drowned out acres and there is going to be an unprecidented record low crop this year. Myself I only have about 40% of the crop in and what is in looks terrible I had to quit driving past my fields 2 weeks ago because they looked so poor. Now the next problem many acres have not been sprayed and wont be for awhile which will also affect the yield. In all my years on the farm I have never seen anything like this.

0 Kudos
dekus
Contributor

good info on that link, Thanks Canuck 

0 Kudos
dekus
Contributor

i appreciate the info Whitesand, hope things get better for you.

0 Kudos