cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Central WI Crops

I'm over in Cen WI back by the farm I sold. The crops now show how bad it is here. I have pictures that I will post later this evening. I think some of these may be in the running for worst crop of the year.

Beans, very, very short. Generally 1/2 way to the knee with the leaves still on. A lot of beans are going as forage. Yields - agronomist is saying 7-12 mostly, the best fields may do 25.

Spoke with our local agronomist and he says corn yields will be around 75 on the better fields. There are fields that are Barron. More later with pictures.

Jen
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Central WI Crops

Jen, this is kind of an off the wall question for you.  Do you think anyone (government or private) could pull(hack) yield data off the GPS systems as farmers are combining?

Thoughts I never would have considered a few years ago. 

Now if I start asking questions about government cloud seeding, we might have to find a nice white straight jacket.  LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Without a doubt it is designed to have that ability.  And just as you don't get possession of the song you bought from I-tunes, but do get the right to listen to it.  John Deere will also own your data.  All that money we spent will only buy us access to the data not ownership of it.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I agree with SW. I think that possibility exists. Do I think it's done? No. But, anytime a large amount of money is involved, like the futures system, it is going to be subject to someone attempting to subvert the system for their own gain. But it would be complicated. GPS is a signal put out by a series of satellites. Could it be used both ways? I suspect it can. But it would take someone smarter than I to do- or someone who designed the system.

Jen
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You all talk like the USDA is in some type conspiracy. La La Land I agree with, I don't think they are conspiritors.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Well, I never thought I would say something like this, but-our best interests are not at the center of their agenda. The more I think on it, the more I believe it is just all about cheap food availability-by hook or by crook. What was once a legitimate entity is now a tool for econimic recovery. Economic recovery on the backs of the people that have had it a little too good in their opinion lately.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Their satellites could zoom into your gps as you're harvesting, sure...like they can read a license plate........but zooming to that many and/or compiling it across 10's of 1000's of fields to come up with any meaningful information?????? who knows, but the Wizard himselfSmiley Wink 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Maybe a private co. Could figure that out. But the USDA?? They can't even figure out how to push a few buttons to calculate the PP acres in a timely fashion
Veteran Advisor

Shaggy,  it could be used both in a good way and a bad.  Someone could get early numbers to trade.  The government could use it to keep insurance claims accountable.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Well lets screw with them then in the yield monitor double the width  of your head cutting the yield in half.