cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Change In Lockdown Has Some Whining

In the past, USDA would invite some media in, give them a briefing on the data to be released and hold them in lockdown. The media would release the data when USDA ended lockdown.   USDA says that gave some as much as a 2 second advantage on the data.

So, starting in August, USDA is going to release all the data to the public through a server all at once.  The media who used to benefit from lockdown are now saying the big tech guys can get as much as a millissecond head start and hit the trades ahead of time.

Flash Boys in the grain pits.

As a farmer, my attitude is ho, hum.  Hedgers don't trade in milliseconds.  The don't trade in seconds.  Some don't even trade in days.  Seasonally, one may trade in spring and buy back in the fall.  A millisecond?  I'm sorry, formerly privileged media, I don't share your grievance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Change In Lockdown Has Some Whining

"drain the swamp"

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That's the way it should have been all along!
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

'''''  E  T  F 's  ''''''    =   millisseconds    -   =  Watson,  being  out  front   -  U   second  - - -  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Anyone else been paying attention to all these "perfect" Midwest growing conditions these analysts keep reporting about? Been watching Midwest weather reports on non ag news outlets. Only places that's looks to have been getting rain and forcasted for rain seems to be only the areas that have already had to much. Also hot weather! Drought areas seem to be expanding. Am I the only one recognizing this, or am I wrong with my take on it ?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

106 degrees across "eastern" kansas yesterday (probably parts of Missouri)

Perfect conditions?    according to usda.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: let em whine

They're just playing millisecond games with their own dough anyway.

It takes a season to grow a crop Then another 1 to market Some of it, generally.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Plenty of time to play “fantasy corn crop” while we wait.
All our financial friends can play.
0 Kudos
Advisor

You forget, Jim, that flash traders can do a lot in a very short time.  The most powerful computers can process millions of executions in a second.  Place a trade in advance of others and exit seconds later when targets are hit.  The profit comes in the volume times a fraction.  

0 Kudos