cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Check your corn bins

Ray J has been posting in his daily coments about all the high moisture corn in farm storage and that some was going out of condition. 

Just got a Christmas card from a farmer friend from up East of Ames Iowa and the letter attached to it said they had corn sprouting in the bins. Said that was a first for them. That late planted stuff may not be "quite right".

Even a 10,000 bin is a $40,000 bank account. Pay attention and check it often.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Check your corn bins

everything came off the field at 15-16 on my ground. Ran air on it as it went in. Finished almost 2 months ago. Sitting in the combine waiting for a truck to show up now. If it wasn't for helping friends, all I'd be doing is feeding cows and drinking beer right now!
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Hobby, I did just as you instructed. Checked my bins this morning and the **bleep** things were empty. WTH I thought, it was at that point that I realized I sold out when the price was about $0.75 higher.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Last I checked I had moisture down to 16 on top of each bin (no stir augers). Have since cooled each bin. Still like to look in in them every week or so.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Hobby mine is in the field still. Got ice on it. **bleep**ed til it melts. Got some hints of mold on some ears. Man I gotta get this crop off this winter. Or march. And so do the neighbors!!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

hobby thanks ----------- I think your doin sombody a big favor.   I would be scared to have any frosted-before-dry corn in the bin.

We had a hot spot 10 days ago and cored the bins to get it moved out ---------- shouldn't have been a problem but the temp variation has been extreme.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

When it gets nice and cold I like to turn the fan on, open the top door and smell the air coming out.  Have never had corn go bad and last summer when we went to empty the bin the corn coming out was still pretty cold.  At least MN winters are good for something.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Always surprised to see the unload auger sweating in June. don't know why it surprises me but still does.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Same here Isc;

Try to turn fan on once a month on a clear cold day.

Corn in bin at 20ish % here and fan ran until it was nice and cold.

Smelled good a couple weeks ago when I had fan on for over a day.

Moisture will be down dry when I take it out next spring or summer.

0 Kudos