cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

China needs to be our #1 ethanol customer

China starts the new year smothered in smog

A bird flies in heavy smog over the Forbidden City in Beijing, China, on November 4, 2016. Dangerous levels of air pollution continued into the new year.

WANG ZHAO/AFP/GETTY IMAGESe

BEIJING — As the world welcomed 2017, Beijing and other cities across northern and central China were shrouded in thick smog, prompting authorities to delay dozens of flights and close highways.

Air pollution readings in northern Chinese cities were many times above the World Health Organization-designated safe level of 25 micrograms per cubic meter of PM 2.5, the tiny, toxic particles that damage lung tissue. The readings exceeded 400 by Monday afternoon in several cities in the northern province of Hebei.

Expressways in Shijiazhuang, Hebei’s capital, and more than a half-dozen other cities there were temporarily closed, according to notices posted on the official microblog of the province’s traffic police.

In the central city of Zhengzhou, authorities ordered students from kindergarten through high school to stay home on Tuesday because of the smog.

Authorities have deployed teams of inspectors to check on polluting factories, reports said.

Dramatic time-lapse video posted on Twitter and Instagram captured the smog rolling in and filling the streets of Beijing on Monday.

China has long faced some of the worst air pollution in the world, blamed on its reliance of coal for energy and factory production, as well as a surplus of older, less efficient cars on its roads.

Researchers at Germany’s Max Planck institute have estimated that smog has led to 1.4 million premature deaths per year in China, while the nonprofit group Berkeley Earth in California has had a higher figure, 1.6 million.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: China needs to be our #1 ethanol customer

I agree, and they need to build some E-plants to use up their rotten grain.

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

and they need to build some E-plants to use up their rotten grain

Sorry here wind - But I totally disagree on your statement there ---- What they need to do is dump it in the ocean for fish food and buy more GOOD grain off of us - lol

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

EC......I hear the dry mill ethanol performance may not be as good when using corn with VOM 

you hearing anything about that??

sounds like an opportunity for those with high quality corn to extract some value from the buyers?

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Thanks EC..... I just never thought of that plan, LOL

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Good morning Ray - I don't know anything about the high vommy and ethanol production as if one is better or worse - I will see If I can find out today --- But I do know that Cardinal is paying a .10 premium for 1% or less vommy corn - .5 cents for up to 2 % - And + 23 on basis on corn .

Now I have to ask here what is the premium for ?? As you asked - for a better production for product ?? OR is it that they are over whelmed with High vommy DDG's ?? that can not be feed to hogs - with the only out let is for bird feed ?  That has all ethanol plants around here fighting for a out let - Which my guess is that they are dam near giving it away considerings how far they must rail - barge or truck it .

IF they pull in good corn - then there former out lets open back up - right ?  And that is my guess as to the premium being paid .

Then we must remember all the corn sitting in elevators with high vommy - They are in the hunt for a market = The South East - or AR area -

The premium must be working Ray - As we have 100 thousand to haul up there for one customer and got a call yesterday  from another to haul 100 +

BTW Ray - Hows retirement ? Hope good -

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

EC......retirement going well.....leaving jan 16 for three week trip to Phoenix and Rio Grande Valley.....have a gig today in Ottumwa at a Farm Credit meeting.....

I think the primary issue is that VOM is getting concentrated in DDG's and making them unsalable in some markets...

sounds like folks in elevator biz werte slow to start testinig/rejecting and now have high VOM stocks and need better corn to blend off

and the ethanol plants would like to see the clean corn come right to the plant

corn from the west needs to move east to help solve the issue

hope YOU don't have to deal with too many rejected loads with extra time, expense, etc...

off I go into the zero weather!!

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ray that is a late start for a "snowbird".  Hope your on the back side of this one....

When they come across the southern Rockies, the southern plains can be a mess..... we can provide assistance as needed...

--------------------------------------------------

That time laps doesn't look like smog to me,  more like a good wind storm in SW with wheat in bad shape........ Smiley Happy

Video brings up a couple of thoughts........... seeing some owners struggling with what to do with CRP as it is being dumped off the program this year and next.  A big issue in this area... CRP(along with better farming, and the worlds best farmers)  has meant very few videos like that in the old dust bowl..... a poor time for property taxes to go up 30+%. --- a local fsa rep says "higher ups" think that it won't be broken out because of low prices for grain ---- You just can't see the picture clearly from the Patomic.  Taxable assets need to produce revenue.... this is what starts land value slides...possibly avalanches....

China had industrial smog before.  Lots more autos, less two wheelers= ????.  but that video moves in like dirt and wind.  Smog developes because there is not wind movement.  Im afraid if we pool some money and build an E plant in china we might get a "less smoggy" picture of our world grain reserves.  Smiley Happy

Instead of the view from the Patomic.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

supposed to be warm by then Ray,  should be good.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

No Ken, if they dump all that rotten grain into the ocean we will have piles of dead fish wash up on our west coast. On second thought....Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos