cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: China's seed company

When you look at the economics of grain/oilseed farming is that something that a Wharton University  trained MBA Ceo would want to take his company into?    A few yrs ago Joe LuterIII head honcho of John Morell/Smithfield said their vertical integration wouldn`t include the production of the feed because of the economics.  

When you look at it, individual farmers use their family`s personal fortune, work off the farm for that income, use old lady`s income to keep the farm going.  And if they win the lottery or aunt Hazel leaves them $2 million, they buy all the farmland they can for $20,000/acre.   No rational corporation would want to compete with such irrational behavior.  

I think China will huff and puff about a lot of things, but are they going into Africa or S.A. on a meaningful grand scale anytime soon when they can have a boatload of <$10 beans delivered to their front door?   Not if they really are these ancient wise people they have this reputation for.   They`ve read or I should say wrote The Art of War Sun Tzu, and this bluster over tariffs is very un-Art of War.  Sun Tzu would say make your enemy think he won a small battle while the balance of the war is going in your favor.  That is not what president Xi is doing, so me thinks he`s off his game and bluffing out of necessity.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Ba   -  Hear   from  Mary  Kaye  ?    Having  her  position  at  an   insurance  -  financial  outfit ,  and  now,   seed  business  - all  the  bases  are  pretty  much  covered aren't  they  ?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smiley Happy   I didn`t sign up for the Syngenta lawsuit, because I don`t believe the company actually caused the price of corn going down, it was China using the Red Herring as a way to buy cheap corn, just as they are now using the Red Herring of tariffs to buy cheap US soybeans.  Now China owns Syngenta and owns Smithfield....Hellooooo-oh???   Is anyone watching what`s going on here?  Or is it just easier to be a cry baby and blame the US president?

I would now be in favor of suing the crap out of Syngenta for the ONLY reason that they are owned by China.   Am I going to contact any of the ambulance chaser lawyers to sign up?   Probably not, it looks like a lot of paperwork and I`m too lazy to go chasing free money jackpots.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Maybe  your  farm  financial  company  could  be  some  assistance ,  with  connections  on  BOTH  ends now - - -

Didn't  hear  any  LOUD  Alarm  shouts  out of  any of  Iowa's  elected   -  except    Vilsack   &   Grassley  -  not  a  peep  out  of  the  honorable  US  Rep   Steve  King  except  a  YES  vote  ?   

0 Kudos