cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Conversion Factors

Mike,

How about a story, maybe even one you could pin to the top of the forum page, that would include some commone conversion factors.  For example, you wrote today of a sale of 120,000 mt.  I figured out that is 4,440,000 bushels of soybeans.    What is the capacity of a typical cargo ship, so how many shiploads is that?

Here's a useful ISU conversion table.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c6-80.html 

It would be nice if we could mouse-over the numbers and see the conversions on the spot. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Conversion Factors

The easy way would be for you to catch up to the rest of the world and just do everything in metric.

The export sales are all made in tonnes anyway are they not?

That is what the rest of the world uses.

Get Chicago to trade in contracts of 100 tonnes and you would no longer have to convert, just sell in tonnes, simpler than 56 and 60 lb units.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Canuck,

You don't have to convince me!  I spent 30 years around the Army, 20 on active duty, including living on the economy for 10 years in Germany so metric is just as easy as English.  If only the rest of the U.S. would get with it.  We drink pop in 2 liter bottles, all our cars are slowly but steadily taking metric wrenches, all our military operates in metric, science is metric.

Who is holding things up?  If we started getting bids in metric units, you can be sure we'd figure it out pretty soon. 

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I imagine your scales are the same as ours, flip the switch and they read in kilograms.

And I suggest metric is actually easier than the old measure, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon, 12 inches in a foot.

Try making feed with 'bushels' or 56 lb units, indeed making feed with 2000 lb units.

Here we buy the ingredients in kg or tonnes and make feeds in kg or tonnes all by moving the decimal place.

Glad you are convinced, still have lots in Canada that keep converting back instead of using the easier system, not many convert back that make feed though.

0 Kudos