cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Cool weather

Will the cool weather in the forecast in the next couple of weeks for the majority of the corn belt have a market impact? 
I would expect it to slow the early plant development and thus possibly delay harvesting by a few days on down the road.

For a market that seems to want physical crops now, I would think this weather forecast would be quite bullish. 

What are your thoughts?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Cool weather

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Some corn and beans were put in early April (30 mays now) in excellent soil conditions.  Perhaps the few lollygaggers that plant May 15th will actually be ahead of the game.   Rather be lucky than smart  Smiley Happy

Anyone have Melinda Gate`s cell? Wondering about renting some ground.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

BA, u might be jumping the gun a little bit.

As far as cool weather right now,

I don't think it's a event that makes a difference. 

The lack of rain is gonna be the real story in a few weeks if this  weather pattern doesn't change.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hobby, did you guys have a similar spring in 1988? Up here, I rented a farm and chilly, dry spring everyone in the neighborhood planted early May even the over-achievers.  May was cool took 3 weeks for corn to emerge and hot dry summer.  I had a radio on the fender of the Oliver with front mount cultivator listening to Lee Kline on WHO talking about the price of "piggy gilts" going to market.  Our county was a disaster and the ASCS measured my bins and corn cribs, said I had 110 bushel per acre, best in county, or so they said.  

But the cool dry spring was replaced with hot dry summer...Welcome to farming kid!  I will say all my corn this year planted 2" in moisture...no trouble "seeing the planter marker" if anyone still knows what those useless appendages are anymore   Smiley Happy

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Still a high % of IFM farmers down here in Podunk Country.

(I Follow a Marker)

BTW, would really like to acquire a nice set of flat fold markers to fit my White 12 row.

It appears as though I'll finish my farming career as I started it being a IFM & GBS farmer.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I'm just going to stand over here in the corner and try not to be the one who asks?Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I  F  M   -  I   farm  myway   - ? 

G B S  -   Great  Big  $aver  -  ? 

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

K for that I'd give two kudos if i could

Seems my definition leads directly to your definition

0 Kudos