cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Maybe he's just delivered the landlord his share.

He’s going to make sure he drops that big buck he’s been feeding all year. Is that even considered baiting when the pile is that big?

0 Kudos

Re: Corn Market That Bad?

That happens a lot here in Brazil, but here we dont have rain after the crops. That doesn't sounds good.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

fredericoschmi,

Thanks for checking in from Brazil. What's the latest, from your neck of the woods? Are you done planting this year's soybean crop? I hear prices are very strong, allowing for a lot of farmer-selling? Plus, are you forward-selling the crops that you are putting in the ground right now?

Also, how is this tariff on steel and aluminum going to impact you and your Brazilian farmer counterparts? It would be interesting to hear your perspective.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos

Hello Mike, my pleasure.

Soybean plantings are mostly done in the key areas with only some regions still a bit delayed but not bringing bigger concerns yet because mostly weather forecasts are favorable from now. The region with biggest delays are Matopiba, mainly northeastern regions in Brazil, who contribute on production but are not the key players.

On the sales side, producers are getting better prices in brazilian real if compared to last year and compared to costs as well, so this is helping on sales. In general I could say we are seeing around 10% more forward sales if compared to last year.

Now about the tariff, my views and the views I get from farmers and markets is not positive. At first it only tends to impact the metal sectors but it will bring pressure on government to hold currency levels and its not positive because most opinions are that brazilian real is already artificially overvalued and a fair and lower level should be pursued. Government understanding is that we need a more devalued currency to attract more foreign investments. It will be a volatility factor from now. In one hand we are expecting the brazilian currency to continue devaluing but in the other hand trade war talk might hold on things, even more if the tariffs and/or sanctions get stronger.

Thanks,

Frederico Schmidt

Veteran Advisor

Frederico,

Great insight. I do appreciate it. And, if you would be so kind, please drop into this forum during Brazil's planting and growing season and let everyone know how the crops are growing, if you have Asian Soybean Rust spreading (I hear that might be a problem again this year), weather updates, crop progress. First-hand reports, like yours, are invaluable.

Thanks, again, and please keep up the good work.

Mike

0 Kudos

I appreciate Mike. I always like to take a look here as well.

We found some focus of Asian Soybean Rust in my region here, southern Brazil, important area, but so far are isolated cases and are being monitored closely. This thing cant spread, the damage can be big. So far, another thing to keep our eyes on.

0 Kudos