cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Corn Market That Bad?

I traveled the southwest Iowa highways, this past weekend, and had to stop when I witnessed this huge corn pile in this field. Is this a result of the corn market, no storage, no semi-tractor trailers, or what?

I remain cornfused? Other than some catastrophic family event, or something unknown occurrence related to this farmer, why would someone do this?

SW Iowa Corn PileSW Iowa Corn PileSame Pile, But Closer ViewSame Pile, But Closer View

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Corn Market That Bad?

Probably rejected by the elevator like a lot of corn in my area

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not knowing the area, is it possible his bin site was one rendered unusable by floods and couldn't be rebuilt in time?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

gurly3801539,

This was not in the flooded area, not southwest enough. Actually, pretty hilly in this area. Was it rejected? Maybe. Bin problems, maybe. It's a real head scratcher.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Is it in the corning ia area? If so this is is standard operating procedure for him.  Allows him to run long hrs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Reminds me of a story I hear years ago.

There were some Japanese grain buyers touring Iowa and they expressed surprise to see yellow shell corn.  It seems that all the corn they had ever seen coming from the US was black and they just assumed that was the way it all was.

You would have to guess that given all those gullies in that corn pile a good deal of it will be black before it's all picked up.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hobbyfarmer,

Outside of Fontanelle.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Reminds me of a story I hear years ago.

Best corn dryer out there Mother Nature, can’t afford to sell it at a loss. Cheap storage. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Maybe he's just delivered the landlord his share.

It doesn't dry that good in a pile here.

Myself, I can store it cheaper, dry it better and keep it in a whole lot better condition on the stalk.

And I often do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Maybe he's just delivered the landlord his share.

Well, it’s pretty obvious that the market doesn’t need it. Might as well let it go bad.

And......as long as it’s in this pile and not still out in the field on the stalk, he’ll have less volunteer corn in his beans next year.

0 Kudos