cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Corn Planters Need A Raincoat

Yes, investors listen up. The weather guys and gals don't see five consecutive dry days, in the Corn Belt, for the next 14 days. Let's do some simple math: It's May 3. So, add 14 and you get to the 20th. Ok, still five days to get the crop in. The country's farmers have been known to plant like speedy gonzalaz. But, the rain in the next 14 days is following already wet weather, in large parts of the Midwest.

Perhaps a Sunday night rally? Hello out there!.....th--e--r--e.....th-----e------r----e.....

Anybody listening?

See the full rainy story:   U.S. Corn Planters Need a Raincoat

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Corn Planters Need A Raincoat

Unfortunately we are used to that crap.   I had to laugh, on WHO`s Big Show they had our ISU Extension agronomist Angie Rieck-Hinz on  and they asked her how it was going in the Mason City area and she shocked them "well, not as bad as last year"  Smiley Very Happy    I suppose they were expecting some gloom & doom like everywhere else ...and it is gloomy and doomy but not as bad as last year when so many in the cornbelt were doing endzone dances on their anticipated monster crops they had just planted in `18.   But in this area we mudded in corn after May 20th last year and the whole year sucked.   This year maybe only the last half of the crop will have to be mudded in after the 20th....hey, things are looking pretty good this year   Smiley Happy

Advisor

I have been from SE ind(home) to Mansfield OH to Goshen IN to Monticello In to Central Ky and NOT 1 ACRE PLANTED And the best part is very little fertilizer spread last fall due to wet conditions so everybody on the river will run out in 4 days.  we have had 0ver 8 inches the past week. I'm gettin too old for this 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey Rawhide, the forecast of rain,rain, rain will have to be wrong one of these times.  When I was a kid, we didn`t get too excited about starting planting until May 10th or so and to finish in the peat by the 25th we thought we were right on track and then finish by June with beans.  I know you won`t get your picture on the cover of Top Producer magazine, but the goal is stay in business. 

Fighting it would be a lot easier if we had $5 corn and $12 beans or if seed was $100 a bag and Map was $250/ton...but Map and seed is twice that and grain prices might be cut in half of that.    If I ever plant into the dust on April 25th and $4+ corn and 28% is $150 I must be dead, because the only place things come together like that is in Heaven  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

B A -  wondering  what  professional  statement  meaning  is  derived  from  ''  not  as  bad  as  ''  ,  and  what   the  grading  scale  would  be  on  a  term  paper of  this  subject  material  -  ?    

I'l  start  off  with  ''  not  as  bad  as  next  week '' ( month) , ( year )  -  maybe  - ? 

B A  - What's  my  grade ,  &  don't  publish  it  plz  -  due  to  confidentiality  reporting Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I`m sorry I`m not following you K-289.   Angie was saying that so far this year is "not as bad as last year" because last year at this time it was maybe 2 or 3% corn planted, where as this year her area is 20% or 30% corn planted.  See, last year around here sucked.  I read about planting delays and flooding around the midwest this year and i`m sure it`s bad, but around here, for us it`s "not as bad as last year"...of course talk to me after the rain predicted Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, then maybe we`ll be "as bad as last year"   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

raw....great to see your name show up

I called the NASS office and asked just exactly where 2% of Indiana's corn is planted....

well they were going to look in to it and get back to me.....bottom line it is a bogus

number just because nobody believed it could be zero :-)

Can't wait to see this week's report, if IN goes up even 1% you can be assured it

is pure bs....we'll see  :-)

From the article: "Some of the trade sees the U.S. corn planting rate to be 25% complete."

Wow, there is some serious wishful thinking in those minds. 9 mil acres planted this

week? Where? Just wondering, maybe the Carolina's, and a few acres in DE, and a

very small area in C-IA, but 9 mil?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Have to be honest but I have stayed away from the ag markets due to my family buying an abandoned camp in central Illinois . I have been swamped trying to get it up and running before the 8th of July. Thank God things are moving slowly but in the right direction.

I talk to a lot of my new neighbors and they are all farmers and they are nervous. The stress of the bills, planting deadlines, and the lack of control with the prices are worrisome. From my perspective I do not see big opportunities until we take care of the tariff wars. Just simple Business tells you that if you piss off your number one customer then you really have to hustle to cover the loss. I know I will be winding down and will focus on the price levels for market participation. But for now I feel for you and my neighbors. Be safe and hopefully things turn around.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Rawhide, we just finished shelling April 11th. Last 65 acres with the grain head and around a few wet spots. No spraying done. No NH3 on. But still feel relieved at being done shelling. Been fighting the weather since Halloween. Now I know what my family felt like growing up in the proving ground.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

1st  80  acre  field  -  started  at  1 pm  -  finished  by  4;30  with  a  .60  thunder  storm ,  with   1/2  field   left  for  another  day  -  maybe  later  next  week -  -  - 

0 Kudos