Good article in the pages of this website about a toxin now being detected in this year's corn crop, which developed supposedly because of the wet weather that delayed the harvest a month ago.
Question : what do you do with corn that has more than an allowable amount of toxin ? The article above talks about how corn with only mild concentrations of a toxin can sometimes be blended with toxin-free corn and used for ethanol and livestock feed. But what about the corn with high levels of a toxin...is there any kind of treatment the kernels can be soaked in to kill off the toxin, or is the corn good for nothing ? How do you dispose of large amounts of toxin-ated corn ?
Re: Corn Toxins
I doubt if the ethanol people want even mild toxins because in processing the toxins are concentrated. All the toxins in one bushel of corn end up in the resultant DDG, so b volume and by weight there are more toxins per unit in the end product than in the beginning material. What might get by in corn may be over the limit in DDG.