cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Corn averaged 202 bushels

They finished up my corn harvest yesterday  and my corn yield was 202 of 15% corn assuming farm stored corn  estimate is accurate. None presold and no new crop beans sold.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Re: Corn averaged 202 bushels

How does that compare to 5 yr average?
0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

above average but yields have gotten better so I hardly know what is average anymore.

0 Kudos
childofthecorn
Veteran Contributor

Do you feel the whole state will average that or better?

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Do you usually yield 17 bpa above the state average, or 8-9%?

Not absolutely telling, I'm just interested. USDA has Iowa at 185.

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

I would doubt that the whole state would average that good. In the first place their are some exceptional farms but there also there are plenty of average or poorer farms. Inadequate drainage is a big factor as well as fertility and seed selection.

I don't know what kind of yields my neighbors are getting. I live in OK now and don't visually examine the crops anymore. On top of that I was never to good at yield predictions even on my own farms let alone someone elses.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

don, the sad part is that at 200 bpa, i think i still have a crop revenue claim. (depending on how the fall price option works out)

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

the sadder part is that I have 200 acres of rented corn ground that is barely going to average 100 bushels per acre after flooding, drought, and frost and I took the less expensive option of basic bushel protection on it.  My revenue on it is going to barely cover the seed, chemical, and fertilizer cost, so the cash rent comes out of my pocket plus I guess I won't get paid anything for wearing out my equipment on it.

The moral is to not be afraid to make money on the land you rent, when you can, because the years you have to pay it all back are not fun.

Hopefully the ground I own will make up for it. I guess a smart operator would transfer the bushels from the operation that is 85% revenue insured to the rented ground and let the crop insurance companies pick up the loss. Guess I am not that smart like some of my neighbors (according to what they have told me.) 

idalivered
Advisor

Red, I had 2 fields over 200( so far) and 7 miles away had one go 110 because of heavy june rains. Soil tester guy took drone pictures of the drown outs for the crop insurance , also. Bad part is some of that moisture stressed corn around the drown outs set the ears so low , we lose it  in the head.Luckily(?)  poorer farm is in a differnet county so my enterprise unit  will not ding me. The guys shuffling bushels between farms better have their act in order. cheating and getting away can be really hard. If you don't lie, you dont' have to keep track. good luck to us all

hardnox
Advisor

I'd kind of gathered that NC IA/SC MN weren't expected to do the heavy lifting on a record crop.

FWIW, IL and IN are printing some very big yields but anecdotes of either don't prove much.

Just interesting.

0 Kudos