cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NCcorntrader
Senior Contributor

Corn demand II

Continuing from a previous post, I think demand is the key to the corn equation, not supply. Anyway- I have put together a plot of US demand from 2000-2012 based on the June report for each year. Nothing terribly surprising, just confirms ethanol is the key

us corn demand.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Corn demand II

NC if you add DDG's to your chart for feed I think you will see the feed usage has also grown.

0 Kudos
NCcorntrader
Senior Contributor

these numbers are straight from the USDA report- does anyone know if DDG is included in the "feed" portion of "use" column on the report?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The current USDA reporting does NOT include the 33% of DDGs that come back.  The anti-ethanol, nazi bad news bears can put this in their pipe and smoke it Smiley Happy

http://ethanol.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/usda-asked-to-correct-reporting-which-overstates-corn-u...

0 Kudos
teaspoon73
Senior Contributor

BA Deere, thank you for posting ,

0 Kudos
short time
Contributor

to follow up does anyone know how they report the ddg that are exported ?

0 Kudos
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

I found this report of DDG usage

I need to get back to side dressing corn so didn't read it all the way through but it has some consumption charts but don't know if it gets into exports.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Yes the DDG's ought to be included in feed or exports, one or the other. They just didn't evaporate.

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

DDG Exports are published each month

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

There`s alot of misinformation concerning ethanol that is allowed through the cracks.  I`m by no means a expert, but when there`s a mainstream story the headlines are "40% of corn crop goes to ethanol!!!!!" and "Ethanol subsidies!!!!"  That isn`t the whole story the reader is lead to believe that a bushel of corn goes to the E-plant and 3 or so gallons of ethanol come back and that`s it! Nothing more! DDGs aren`t mentioned, the fact that with no gasoline refineries having been built in 30 yrs each E-plant is a small refinery.  We`d have higher gas prices anyway that you cut it without ethanol.  Opponents arguments  fall flat when only 12¢ of corn goes into a $4 box of cereal..let`s raise corn prices up to $12/bu whoopty do! that box of cereal will now cost $4.12.  I understand about livestock feeding, but I know alotta guys that forward sold alotta corn at $5.00 there were opportunitie abound to lock that in, also not too long ago $3.60 corn was getting delivered to Eplants, so I`m not ready to break out the violins just yet. All this handwringing about $8 corn, it ain`t here yet, $6.66 was the best for Dec here a link to a area elevator. http://farmersca.com/

0 Kudos