cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corn: where are we going?

What are you guys thinking? Took a week off marketing: so fill me in as to why corn is 4.90/bu at the river, 4,40 at the elevator?

How much higher can we go? Are we going lower?

Also, this is the secondest worst winter in my area since 1976, according to the weather people... Major lakes were completely frozen by d 15!!

Hopefully I'll get rich come spring
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Corn: where are we going?

weather map.png

No early spring for most of us.

More cattle feed needed

Many towns in North Central Iowa telling citizens to let the water trickle. 4 ft of frost.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

snow.png

Expected snow this weekend

43 today @ 2pm

22 and headed for 5 tonight got a 1 or 1 1/2 inch snow @ 8:45 this evening.

another 3 to 6 tomorrow afternoon and evening -7 tomorrow night all the time with a 25 mph breeze. Oh Joy

0 Kudos

Wow, I am right at the centre of this crap. It's snowing pretty steady... And it is stupid cold again.

Texas has been planting for a week. Heard they're getting dry there now.
0 Kudos
crophugger
Senior Contributor

-12 here this am with a nice balmy nw breeze. Fert costs increasing fuel costs increasing potential blow off top in thebeans guys having trouble cash flowing think we'll see an increase in bean acres here in the fringe and lots of corn stalks waiting to be no tilled. Feed bunks repuiring as much as 20% more daily. Hay piles shrinking fast. I look for a carrot rally in all grains. The cattle guys have a nice feather in there hat first time I think a pound of beef is worth more than a gallon of gas. About time. Go ag.
0 Kudos

farmerguy, you have probably said before and I can't remember but where are you located?

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

4 degrees and snowing here, right now.   Supposed to get down to the teens below zero the next couple nights, with single digit highs.

The one saving grace here, may be that it has been cold enough, long enough that the wheat and alfalfa hadn't begun to come out of dormancy, and everything is getting a layer of snow over it as we speak, to temper some of the extreme cold to the plants.

I think there will be less corn around here, as it looks to be dry.   With today's prices, beans have a profit advantage, due to lower irrigation costs by $20-30 an acre, which can jump to $60-60 an acre if the drought persists.   It may be snowing right now, but we still are WAY short on soil moisture.

0 Kudos
crophugger
Senior Contributor

Should of said hamburger. These e plants have to be running 110% at these prices USDA low balling exports, feed demand, boat about to tip over, funds buying, dollar below 80, chaos around the world, crazy weather, every analyst bearish (margin calls), stock market?, early harvest 2013, yields? For 13, piles getting picked up. don't know for sure but I can't get to bearish at these prices. Don't see why China would cancel beans at a higher cash price plus our quality is a lot better. Long time till harvest. What say you?
0 Kudos

Ontario!
0 Kudos
capinegro3901115
Veteran Contributor

All good points above by all. I wouldnt want to see corn take out Fridays lows on breaks. We should push higher but how high. 10-14 cents.??

0 Kudos