cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Couple of possible market issues

First, I continue to get remarks that basis is much more positive than usual for corn, and buyers who've contracted for deliveries are often wanting them earlier than the contracts specified. This has been going on for some time. This is the opposite of the idea feeders are dragging their feet and hoping.

The other issue is the idea that feeding rates of corn per animal unit are much lower than seen before and the question is, 'what are they eating?' On the other hand some deficit areas have rolled great amounts of stover and the like to lower feeding costs. Easy to see where I'm going with this, and it's not exactly new. Perhaps alternative feed has 'filled in' to a greater extent than previously known. That's one theory.

Now I'm hearing that sources of stover and alternative feed are drying up. Soooo .... will feeding rates start back up?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Nebraska Sandhiller
Frequent Contributor

Re: Couple of possible market issues

I believe that quite a few calves went into the feed lots much lighter than normal. At this point, they may still be on a growing ration. As they get a little heavier, they will be changed over to a finishing ration and the amount of corn they are fed will increase a bunch.
0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Palouser,what is the current sitsuation in Russia,and Ukraine?

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

We have had a milder than normal winter, with below average snow, which makes for an 'open' winter, meaning that the cattle can graze on their own, on the old grass, so they don't need to be fed much.  Generally speaking, in winters with a lot of harsh weather, or a lot of snow, most everyone around here adds a little corn to the feed to give the cows a little extra boost of energy, to fight the cold, and to replace the extra energy required just walking around through snow, etc, etc.  With an 'open' winter, much less of this is being fed.  Also, feedlots here seem to have less large calves on full feed than normal, and it seems more smaller animals are in the feedlots.  Growing rations use less corn, and even when on full feed, a smaller animal eats less corn than a large one.  Add to that, the nicer winter, and they aren't eating as much as on an average year.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Haven't heard much for Russia but they are apparently going to start buying for a reserve from the domestic market. Ukraine is scheduled to lose @ 1/3 of their winter wheat - unless they get a Hail Mary.

0 Kudos
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

Nebfarmr: do you think they will be finishing at the same weights as usual?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

feedlot effeciency has got to be terrific so far with such a mild winter temps.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I don't know about the weights.  The feedlots around here, have somewhere from 75% - 90% captive to the packer, and deliver when the packer says to, so I really don't have a way to know.  As of right now, they are feeding them to 'normal' size, but that can change on the whim of the packer.  The calves weaned this fall are far enough away, there is no way to know.

0 Kudos
rightone
Senior Contributor

Re:Harvest weights

ran 1,231 lbs per last week in the SW plants. ( 44% hiefers in the mix ).

ran 1,255 lbs per week before last. ( 33% hiefers in the mix ).

Last year weights were 1,265 lbs per ( 42% hiefers ).

Alot of drought calves placed early because of 011 drouth..So they come out lighter too.

Also they don't grade the best.  Alot of selects.

25,000 less harvested last week as comped to the week before.

11,000 head less harvested as comped to 011.

0 Kudos
rightone
Senior Contributor

Re:They'll get the Hail Mary.

Ukraine.  MO.

0 Kudos