Did you mean: 
Joshua905

Crop Tour Summary

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Crop Tour Summary

I think he should have gone to the bathroom before taping this.

0 Kudos

I am in north central Iowa with about 20% of my corn acres PP. After watching this crop tour comments and opinions of how much replant, I have to comment. In this area there is about the 20% PP, but I could drive you on roads and a person wouldn't see the non planted acres, but then I could take you three miles in a different direction and you would guess 50% PP. This is not easy to visually guess, hard numbers from certifying are the only way to know.
0 Kudos
Joshua905

I completely agree you can only comment on what you can see and driving across the midwest doesnt leave much time to check out every field. Or even a quarter of them however if you wait for the hard numbers you've already lost ie. dec corn futures was at $5.26 one week prior to the tour and at 4.76 just one week after.

0 Kudos

Joshua, you're in risk management, what is my risk in waiting until we see more factual numbers, especially before October 31st when the crop insurance price is made? We are already below the spring price and we do have a early freeze issue with this late crop to get through, so I have a hard time getting my mind around your comment that "I've already lost" when I don't know what I have yet.
0 Kudos
Joshua905

Sorry I did not mean you personally. I meant farmers in general will wait to see what they have then its too late and the market has already factored it in and you get $4 corn. The last couple years have been great for those who waited but you can't bank on that this year. 

0 Kudos
booked
Veteran Contributor

OK so how well did you do on last years crop yield tour??

I looked back on your old videos on utube did not see anything dated 2012.

0 Kudos
Joshua905

last year was our first tour. heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqcq-Uw2XtA i believe they went in the begining of june so i dont think they made any estimates on yeild just what was in the ground. Are you booked forward into this year? forgive the pun 🙂

0 Kudos
nutlug
Veteran Contributor

0 Kudos