cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Crop Update

Good Morning. On the home stretch this morning, currently on I 80 East of Omaha.

Probably the biggest thought that comes to mind this morning has to do with the beans. I've only seen a few fields that I felt were where they should be for this date. Most of the beans I've seen have been in the third trifoliate stage or less.

The corn here in Iowa I think is overall better than what I saw coming across NE. The crops got better as I got closer to Omaha, and was expecting some good crops coming into Iowa, but just across the border from Omaha there was 20 miles or so of more or less devastated crops. The corn was thin and uneven, definitely did not have a nice heathy shine to it. It looked like it got planted to early or wet, and then got dumped on by multiple rainstorms. Many fields in that area were replanted, with the fields still being bare. As I came East, conditions have improved, and I'm beginning to see some nice crops here.

This is Central IA and NE on the 18th of June. Overall, to me the crop seems behind. I didn't look at what the crop ratings this week were for NE, but from what I saw, crossing the state on I 80, I was unimpressed. As I said, by Omaha, the crops looked good and worthy of a 80% good to excellent. But when you factor in the rest, and the lateness of a lot of the crop, I would be hard pressed to give it more than 40% G - E.

It'll be nice to get home today. We stopped at Mahoney State Park last night West of Omaha. We've stayed there before. What a nice park. We got in early enough to do the water park & wave pool. My sunburn improved just enough to enable me to do the pool late in the day. What a fun end to yesterday. I don't know about crashing around in a wave pilot at nearly 60 with 150 or do young people, but it sure was fun. I was afraid I had broken my nose (again) at one point when my grand daughter slammed her head into it, but it seems OK.

I'm too limited to do weather this morning, and will check in tomorrow.

Jen
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Crop Update

There's no place like home...

And if rain makes grain, then everything North of Des Moines to Cannon Falls, which has every low spot in any field filled to the brim - and then some - should produce a crop like the midwest has never seen.

Jen

0 Kudos