cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Crop conditions

Crop conditions dont take account for maturity. Aquaitance used to work at FSA. I heard tell they would get a phone call every week  asking how the crop looked. If  it was green the crop looked good. Not very scientific.

Dont see where all this rain is supposed to come from next week. What site are you on Buck.

Also who was that world renown weather guy that spoke at a  Farm land bank meeting a couple of years ago. Think in 2012. What is he saying. For the life of me cant think of the guys name. Seemed to be pretty accurate.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Crop conditions

Crops look excellent here except for river bottoms in some places.

Corn must be having issues because the planes and helicopters are all busy flying on fungicide and we haven't had a rain for 3 weeks. Must have five dollar, 200 bu corn contracted.

Beans need a rain. Still look excellent but are showing dry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Talked to a guy from minneapolis  who drove south from there to chicago ,Said half of MINN is way behind. Corn just tasseling and beans ankle high.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

In my area the corn looks great. I would say my county average corn yield will be in the 150 to160 range. Normally we average out around 130. Soybeans will need another good drink to finish strong. I would estimate my county average soybean yield in the low 40's and that might be generous without a mid August rain event. I think soybean prices are getting too low. Just not enough good looking bean fields and too early to tell yet. IMO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

As far as corn looks here in Shelby County - Finally got out in my N Plot today - just to mainly check for disease pressure , it passed , But did do a pop count and pulled 3 ears - one was 18x42 , 2 was 14x40 and 3 was 16x42 pop was 33,000 average came out to 255 bpa .

Disclamier in this field - it had some wet spots and they were replanted - Need to take a Hagie drive and see what that looks like in the back .

For my general area - Some corn numbers have had disease pressure go off the scale in the last week or so ,some sprayied , some did not .

We had 6 teths on Weds . plus chance this afternoon = no stress in my area .

Beans - will take a check this week - pop and pod counts - that will give a good idea at what we are looking at .

IMG_1349.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Hey Cat, your friend that drove from Minneapolis to Chicago must have really gotten lost to see "HALF" of Minnesota!  There are for sure some very challenged areas in Minnesota, but there is a lot of good to great stuff out here as well.  Many thinking potentially record corn in parts of SWMN.  The beans are still anybodies guess.  Got some rain last weekend with more to come this week.  Guessing bean yields is like being a sheep vet!

0 Kudos