cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Crops are so much easier to raise on paper!!

Thats a pretty bleeeeek start.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Crops are so much easier to raise on paper!!

Paper will lay still for anything..........

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

March 2013 Coldest March in 11 Years

Guess I don’t have to tell the guys in Iowa and the northern cornbelt states about how cold it was for March compared to normal. And it appears that April is shaping up to be similar. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us not start planting in northern Iowa till May. A far cry from last year. Here Chicago thinks the 2013 corn crop is already made and in the Tin Cans, yes, it is shaping up to be an interesting beginning of the marketing year already with an almost $1 a bushel drop in prices. I tell you, these prices are not going to ration what is left of the 2012 corn crop till the 2013 crop is harvested. I see basis levels hitting record prices this summer in Northern Iowa, we just have to many end-users going after a very limited amount of corn in my part of Iowa. Even with a normal yield, we use all the corn, let alone the much drought reduced yield we had in 2012. I believe Chicago has made a big mistake, current cash corn prices are not going to ration demand at all, and with ethanol prices being somewhat good, the ethanol plants are going to produce at a 100% of capacity rate.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

who is selling corn at today's prices??

is it true your boys at Golden Grain are bringing in rail corn from Minnesota??

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ray..... Are you seeing any movement down your way?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

zero, zilch, nada....

have bought 25,000 since Monday AM, but 20k of that was one operation that sold $7 bid for j/j early yesterday morning....spots were running 70,000 per day last week.....yesterday was 7,500 and mostly contract overfills...

due to plant issues we are highly covered for april, so won't be coming back into market very quickly....but one big processor in EC Iowa has firmed to +50K from +35K last week.....

farmer just wants to go to the field and "do something"......and I want that, too!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

who isn't selling corn?

1 those who supplied a tight and rationing mkt in the previous 9 months  - it is moral   !

2 those who want to deny ag econ truths and wish to sell 1.50 t0 2.50 lower by summer-fall.

0 Kudos