cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Crops report from Central Kansas

Wheat - 10% to 20% of APH if your one of the fortunate few, otherwise it'll be south of there.
Milo - can't even get the planter to penetrate the surface but we've still got time on our side with this crop.
Corn - only if your nuts or have irrigation and still have available water
Beans - kinda like corn or the few select few who farm for an insurance check might be in business this year.
Hay - HA HA, that's a good one.
Pasture - well those who have a few bales left from winter will be able to hold on to their cattle a little while longer, otherwise our numbers will be the lowest of at least my lifetime.

Have a good one and stay positive.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Crops report from Central Kansas

When's wheat harvest rolling?
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Be at least a month. I'd imagine that is on everyone's back burner. Hard to get excited about <10BPA yield. Talk at the coop this last Saturday was if anyone would get a single truck load per field. I would say our average field size would be somewhere around 40 acres and our average trucks are twin screws with 20' boxes.

T-storms popping up all around us know. To late to help the wheat, but would help the milo crop. Anyone wanna bet me $100 I miss the entire system? Come on I'm honest, I'm a farmer.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

It's pretty **bleep**ty I know. At least your all on the same boat.

I might be better off betting on planting spring wheat vs corn: at least the usda tells the truth on the wheat market, or t least almost

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Holy shehite, been rainin' off and on for little over an hour now and almost up to 1/4" total. Yee Haw, not impressive by any means but already our 2nd largest one event rain in 7 months.

SW, are you getting any of this or did it all spring up NE of you?
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

There ya go Saggy, braggin' 'bout all that rain again - and down goes the market.  I do my best to keep the market worked up, and there ya go tearing me down.  Now I gotta start all over....

Jen

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

About same boat here, but I'm going to
try, if possible. Don't know how, will
need to drag header on ground, but
We have some limestone rocks

Why be so crazy.....seed.

You don't even want to hear some numbers
I am on seed..alot of the acres in ks, Okla, Texas are only really suited for wheat.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Up to .70" now. Largest since August 2013.

Ya Jen I have that affect on the market. I mean I get a bucket full of rain once every 6 months if I'm lucky and the market crashes. And people say Kansas is irrelevant.
0 Kudos
Canuck5
Veteran Contributor

I'm looking at observed precip for today, and the radar.  Are the driest areas getting this rain?  It looks to me like the drought areas of Western Kansas missed it.  The percentage of the state that got rain doesn't look that big.  I may be wrong.....

Kansas: Current 1-Day Observed Precipitation Valid at 5/11/2014 1200 UTC - Created 5/11/14 23:37 UTC

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

srw futures sure offered a nice buy price tonight Smiley Happy

0 Kudos