cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Dead Armadillo Marketing

* for entertainment purposes only.   Between Austin and Moore, Ok my Daughter and i counted 3 dead Armadillos on northbound 35, each one worth $2.50 per price of corn, therefore the `22 crop should have the opportunity to be sold at $7.50   😀

But no, Austin was getting light rain, I hear Texas and a lot of the parched southwest is getting rain, trouble is the ground is so hard from the drought it`s running off and flooding low areas rather than soaking in.  Texas is definitely dry compared to when I was down in June, pastures more resembling Wyoming in that Austin/Waco stretch.  Looks like they been baling corn stalks.  Some of that nice corn by Waco was chopped for silage. 

Up by Ft Worth, there`s a band where pastures didn`t look terrible.  Oklahoma pastures look tough.  In Kansas on the south part of the I-35 windshield tour, there were a couple farmers out discing, making dust, I assume working up beans that were just using moisture and growing pigweed.  When you get to Wichita, by the Cessna plant there`s a hayfield thick with bales.  Flint Hills pastures look good actually.  Emporia, through Missouri crops look dry but good.  Until you get to the Iowa border those crops are suffering all the way up to Des Moines.  Then as you head east on I-80 to Iowa City,  things get better & better. 

BADeere_0-1661171332901.jpeg

What I`ve noticed is there`s a lot of beans out there. Experience says crappy looking beans can and usually do out yield good looking beans, so a windshield tour doesn`t begin to guess the yield.  However, discing down beans are a goose egg, that I do know.   I tend to look at pasture conditions as much as anything in these areas, cows in a bit lower condition tells the story and hay on 35 southbound tells a story.  God bless all the ranchers going through that. 

K-289 talks about Buc-ee`s so I had to see what the hub bub was about, and it is worth the stop!  We filled up with $3.35  10% ethanol!  Hats off to Buc-ee`s for selling ethanol, it`s quite a place, too bad now I discovered it, my doctor won`t let me indulge in most of those naughty foods 😀 

My Daughter got to tour Elon Musk`s "The Boring Company" that is quite the deal 

https://www.boringcompany.com/products   

Here`s a podcast that Gen Z listens to, they are probably the smartest generation we`ve had in some time, not always the wisest but definitely the smartest.    It`s the "All In" podcast, I like the comments of David Sacks  😀  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nId3Jy5bjrY   

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Dead Armadillo Marketing

You were only about 20miles from me when you were in the Osceola area. The beans around here are irreparably damaged by drought. Corn is and has suffered significant yield reduction also.

Not a disc or bale it deal but will seem like "recreational combine driving" as compared to the last few years.

Just finished a crp hay deal. All big bluestem grass. 407 bales, other guy that took on job with me got 359 bales one big field.

Anybody like picking up bales?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

You live near Osceola, Hobbyfarmer?   I used to buy Gelbvieh bulls from the Oswald ranch down there.   Yeah, the I believe it was Middle Creek and Skunk Creeks were mighty low in that area.   It seemed Missouri ponds were high in pastures between KC and the Ioway border.   Boy, a lot of dried up ponds in Okie.  

0 Kudos
rsbs
Senior Advisor

If China is having the worst drought in 60 years, as I read somewhere yesterday, corn probably will be $10 or more, not $7.50.

my chips are all on the table, going to let it ride for a few months.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Hmmm,

Eplant added 35¢ to their bid yesterday for Aug delivery.

Bean plant is $1.30 something over train loader for beans now.

Commercials (coops) getting empty? 

Prices becoming more respectable but still quite aways away from the highs.

Need to do something about the egr valve on semi, sure derates the horsepower when that little light on the dash is on. 

Have one less deer in my corn as of 10:00 last night. Should have been 4.

Two Amish families started cutting it up about 11. (Don't worry I have shooting tags from the DNR) As a word to the wise, if you're buying a straight wall cartridge rifle get the 350 not the 450. Especially if you have a bony shoulder. 

Oh yeah then there is that crp hay thing, another neighbor called, more raking and baling. No mowing and not near as big a job.

Starting to look like the Farm Progress show may be my vacation this year. Think I'll maybe take the camper up. Avoid the traffic jam?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The Dallas Texas area just got up to 15" of rain Sunday, not good (too much) but maybe that`s what it takes to break their dry socket in Texas.  I took in my last load of "I got billz corn" and  the young lady grain buyer was so helpful "♫ would you want to sell it?", I did and I see over night it`s up 15¢ ... 😀 some days you`re the bug, some days you`re the bumper.  A fellow ahead of me was actually hauling in beans. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

That crop thieving tour is going on and they actually found some less than expected crops yesterday.

The yields are going to be all over the place around here, but lower than hoped for at planting I'm sure.

I know of a smaller older farmer still sitting on corn AND beans right here in the neighborhood. Says he will not need the bin space because his crop is going to be less than hoped for.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

BA - reports  from  North Austin ,  2 - 3 inch yesterday ,  ?   And  for  the  Buc-Cee's fuel  situation , never ran dry - out ,   through all of  the  $hortage , even of the Beaver Nuggets =$=$=$ 

0 Kudos