cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Dicamba Damage And Yield Loss

There are rough estimates of 2.5 million soybean acres out of the 90 million or so planted are affected by dicamba damage.  That number is probably on the low side, the writers say, so figure about 3% for a rough estimate.

The question is what is the yield loss on that?  When affected at the early v stages it appears recovery is nearly 100%.  When at R1, when the effect is more on the pods and less on the leaves so it is less noticeable, the effect may be much higher.  It's hard to find a number but I've seen 10 bpa mentioned.  I have no idea myself.  

Well, when you crunch the numbers, the chances of dicamba being a Black Swan for soybean yields is very low, but for the paranoid among you it is comforting to know that bean yields are probably even worse than you'd hoped for (oops, I meant feared).

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Dicamba Damage And Yield Loss

USDA researchers from Penn State University crunched seven decades' worth of data on simulated dicamba drift injury to soybeans in 2014 for more of a bird's-eye view on yield loss.

They concluded that when flowering soybeans are exposed to dicamba "vapor drift," or 1/1,000 of the use rate, 1% yield loss is likely. When exposed to "particle drift," or 1/100 the use rate, flowering soybeans lose closer to 9% yield.

That's a lot of numbers. Bradley sums up the chances of yield loss this way: "If the injury occurs early in the season, as long as you don't have a drought or some big stress later, you'll probably suffer more in the 1-to 3-bushel range," he said. "If it's later, during flowering or beyond, you're looking at much bigger numbers."

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Listening to a spot on a TV show taped in South Dakota & the Hefty brothers stated Dicamba  being relatively effective and safe option - if used according to label directions  ?  ?  

This could get interesting ---  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

This could get interesting in my opinion is an understatement.  I am hearing custom applicators talking about 20 to 25 dollars an acre just for applying dicamba next year. Some are talking about refusing to spray it next year.  Too much liability problem.  In our immediate area I have seen few who can keep it in their own field.  Are we going to have to buy a trait we don't want just to protect ourselves?    

0 Kudos
NottaStree
Senior Reader

"Are we going to have to buy a trait we don't want just to protect ourselves?"

Yes and it ain't right. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I don't think that after this year - you will have to worry about 20 to 25 app charge from a commercial - After the insurance company's dish out a few million - they just won't cover any commercial to spray it - matter of fact - a local fert company received a letter from there carrier 2 months ago that they would NOT cover them if they applied any of the new chemicals with dicamba in them .

The OISC was down here to investigate a ?? what ever ? drift ? Neighbor banged up ? 250 - 350 acres of beans - BASF rep was also down yesterday to have a look - I thought best if I stayed home - no need to go to hear a rep say - OH - I think it will be OK   , no need to worry - even when it has not been threw the season yet , who really knows how it will effect something that's new - in a since .

Good post Jim !

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The problem is that farmers are looking to save a couple bucks and not using the right formulation. Enlist will turn into the same problem. The only way to fix this problem is to have all of these chemical traits inserted into all row crops.... Or invest in a new row cultivator.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

it is just good marketing.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW -  your  on  too  the  scheme - oh  I  mean marketing - in  other  words    BBP  - beige business planning --- 

Duped  -  business 101 or Doctorate  - which is it ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

we are testing the new resistant varieties against the standard rr bean. 

IMG_1127.JPG

The contrast is amazing.  We have an issue with dicamba that is getting worse.by the year....

But I will take the beans on the left at harvest time.... I think the conditions we have with heat and chem drift is why our yields are good.  I think the variety on the left will win by 15 bushel or more.

semi irrigated ....... 103 degrees at the time of picture

0 Kudos