cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Discipline!

Ah, now its said that the farmers are flush,flush with cash and going to plant a great big corn crop,as big as its been since 1944. Why not take that back 40 or even 60 if you are say a 3000@ corn producer and plant it back to a hay field. Let the big USDA find out their predicts can be off a little.Its possible the corn that they promise will go down at their predicted acreage will hold enough better pricing if you all would plant 1-2% less than anticipated, reduce acreage and have a much needed hay crop or pasture.After all in a lot of places hay and pasture is going through the roof.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Artifice
Senior Contributor

Re: Discipline!

cattle, feeder prices, booming,

begging for hay, pasture?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

wish that were a little bit truer here in SC Iowa....I have mixed grass hay in large rounds and 4x4 squares that is going begging for a buyer.

\

send the trucks....

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Ray my feelings toward the big corn acreage numbers is that it wont happen. Soybeans are currently paying very well, well enough that a lot of farmers wont switch rotations. I locked in a lot of my new crop 2012 soybeans in the mid $11 range with one contract very close to $12. At those prices with an average soy crop I know I can make decent money..... As for corn I made my first forward sale at $5.06 last week... With the high input prices I don't think that was greatest sale in the world but its making money with an average corn crop. I believe this corn market has room to run higher or at least it had better run higher or USDA could be in for a surprise.

0 Kudos