cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Do I dare say HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

SW, when I give acre size as to a definition of a Bigshot, it`s from a "I" state perspective..anyone with 9,000 acres more than me is a Bigshot Smiley Happy    You hear that your input buying advantange disappears over 4,000 acre size, I don`t know about that, it probably gets pro-rated beyond that, but 30,000 acres is 30,000 acres.   Suposedly my input dealers are crying that I buy so cheap from them, but talking to a district man that`s really in the know, the really Bigshots are buying seed for exactly half of what I`m paying, so there you go.

Those like ElCheapo are probably really buying retail and really selling wholesale minus a huge negative basis and instead of like around here we cuss the rain, I can`t wrap my head around it, but I suppose there are places that are thankful everytime it rains...I swear around here, we`re living in a rain forest!  Good crops but you have to be over powered or you get behind the 8-ball.

As size increases, the next big thing that you`ll hear about is individual farmers making their own deals with foreign countries to buy their grain.  I can see some individuals getting so big that they bypass Cargill all together.   Of course with the sale of their grain, a load of potash may make the return trip.

The smaller farmers only chance is niche markets...but what`s happening there? Well, the large farmers and their groups bad mouth organics, they blast Chipotle.  They are out for blood, it can`t be the small acres that the niche market has, but I suppose it`s like Big Oil that doesn`t want to give up even 10% of their market to Ethanol.

When corn hit $7 I saw factory workers coming back to grandpa`s farm.  I saw cases of grandpa taking away  his farm from a Bigshot so the grandkid could farm and i`ve seen factory workers retiring early and taking up farming, the small machinery market reflected that on auction.   I imagine many of them regret the decision now though.

I don`t know why I should care about the direction of farming, I`m of a age that 12-15 yrs from now I could theoretically slide across the runway out of fuel with the stall horn going off and proclaim that "I`m retired!"  and rent it all out to a Bigshot.   None of my kids want anything to do with farming and are on the way to making more in one year than my total networth, so legacy building isn`t exactly in my plans.

But those of you that want to preserve your "way of life" to the younger generation, prehaps looking at some government involvement that provides a carrot to a small farmer and takes a stick to the larger opperations.  Perhaps subsidize the first $200,000 of a farmer`s production heavily, but rapidly drop off after that with strict payment limitations and limits on entities collecting a opperation`s subsidies.  As it is now, new farmers coming in are seeing the Monopoly board all "owned" properties and "houses and hotels" with limited "free parking".  The game is getting very mature.   

Senior Advisor

Maybe  we  should  investigate  the 501 - C  deal  for  NON profits ??? 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

BA  -  well stated with some thoughts of many I'm supposing ---

I   ''under estimated '' along with many others the the threating word  ORGANIC would reflect and induce new phrases such as  bio security with farm to fork in certain settings become camera shy ?  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

" I could theoretically slide across the runway out of fuel with the stall horn going off"

I'm trying to picture this in my mind.  Are you inverted?

Honored Advisor

Jim, if you`re out of fuel and have to get rid of altitude to make a runway, your prop is feathering ...well you`re pushing your nose down and maybe coming in at 120, you pull up to make your flare, your stall horn will go off.  See, you don`t have power to bail you out and make the landing pretty.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Oh the exiliration of achieving something "death defying"....Smiley Happy  

..... thanks BA.. well spoken....  

The issue that has reflamed my smoldering ashes is the new election year discovery of fake news.  Especially the condemnation of the misleading and false based presumptions by those who have practiced the process for so many successful endeavors.

In politics as in aviation........ the higher the condecension the greater the fall.  

Jim ..... if the "condecension" is high enough, it appears that being "inverted" is nearly unrecognizable.  Smiley Happy     thanks for the picture

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

120 sounds like a pretty high stall speed.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry, didn`t mean it to sound like flaring at 120, the horn wouldn`t be going off .  I mean coming in on a long final, no going in the traffic pattern and having to burn altitude, a one time shot at it with no engine.  If you lose too much altitude in the process...you go from a altitude preservative procedure to perhaps coming in white over white (outta sight), to get that right with no power either "fly it into the ground" too fast + ground effect, or too slow which is sandbagging the runway which is worse. 

* edit I meant "white over white"

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Better to come in hot than not..........if fuel is short.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes elcheapo............ Say Happy new Year....Make it a prayer if you can

I Pray health issues for you will be a source of your happiness in 2017

0 Kudos