cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Video link

Senior Advisor

Re: Does Weather Support Big Yield Possiblities?

Can you guys control the market? Me neither, so I don't sweat it. Do I complain about it? Yes I do, but that is just the nature of being a farmer. No different then complaining about an untimely rain (or lack there of) or even a chemical that we liked that is no longer available.

I try to concentrate on things that I can persuade, such as lower production costs, keeping machinery in the best shape possible to eliminate costly downtime, etc, etc...

All this bickering and complaining along with I'll weld the bins shut is just school yard bully talk. We'll all do the samething we've always done and that is sell when we reach an agreeable price or when we may need some cash.

2014 is just another reminder as to why it is so important to add diversification to our operations. $4.00 corn and $11.00 beans might not make you rich row crop farming, but feed it to a herd of cattle and reap rewards elsewhere.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Irwin NOT announcing 170+ ave

Irwin is definitely not prediction for a 170+ national average. He's looking at low 160's at the moment.

USDA is definitely an outlier.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I would think plants would begin to shut down or slow up anyway
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Was the "how likely" questioned answered?  Didn't see the percent probabilities, just a "reasonable possibility".  Does that mean a 50-50 chance?  a 25% chance?  a 10% chance?  I think it is also a "reasonable possibility" that we have 10 days of 95+ degree temps that take the top off this crop, or high winds over a large area that put it on the ground, or a flash drought during kernal fill, or record floods just in time for harvest.  All articles like this provide is ammunition for bears to continue driving the market lower on talks of big yields, and ammunition for USDA to feel good about putting out big estimates.

0 Kudos