cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Dome of Doom

https://www.agriculture.com/weather/news/corn-to-be-stressed-in-high-temps-low-rainfall-through-next...  

It`s early yet, but going into the critical 4th of July weekend dry & hot (mostly these 70° night temps) it`s going to chip away at yields.  The lighter soil (my canary in the coalmine farms) that I observe, the corn is shrinking & pineappling.  Mike Hoffman on USFR says above normal temps for 3 months.  That is going to slam this crop into maturing early, if forecast holds.  The 181 traded national yield maybe accurate at this snap shot in time, but that is predicated on timely rains and a bit less on the heat.  I was up in a rain storm up in Morristown Mn the other day, they already had ponds and some waterlogged corn, but south in Iowa, dry as a bone and rolling corn.  I like dry weather (my tile seem to keep up in a drought Smiley Happy ) but just some stuff to watch.

Soybeans, there was a lot of off label Dicamba spraying and conventional beans 2 weeks later are various stages of cupping.  How getting smoked at R2 is going to effect yield is going to be interesting....let`s hope this will be the LAST year of this bull crap.  Who knows, maybe nationwide 100 million bushel will be peeled off the bean crop because of dicamba collateral damage.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Dome of Doom

A touch of dry gets things more hand to mouth.. Good for markets.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA - Morristown is about 20 miles from me.  How bad was the flooding?

Cannon River is dammed by the mill on NE side of downtown.

Bet there was plenty of flooding after all the rain Sunday/Monday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hey Isc76cat.  This was between Morristown and Waseca, their ground was saturated any low area that would hold water had a pond.  Waseca and south crops looked good and drier drier and got to Iowa and dusty roads.  There is quite the Gun store at Morristown  Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Bought a couple items at that gun store.  They draw people from all over.

The July 4th parade and fireworks in North Morristown are a quintessential 

American event.  It is a fundraiser for the small country church school.  All the area Legion and

VFW posts send color guards for the parade along with about everything else you can imagine.

When we went last year there had been a heavy rain less than 2 full days earlier so parking lots

(alfalfa fields) were too muddy.  We had to park on the gravel road about half a mile away and

hop on the bale wagon shuttle.

Another thing sort of unique about Waseca County is the primary county roads are all concrete.

They take a "longer term" view of road construction.

0 Kudos