cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Don"t zig-zag

Corn,soy,wheat,cotton,and you just name it,acres are going in with just a few crops being ignored.How about leaving a hay field in,or putting one in. The hand writing is already on the wall,out of site hay prices.Could it be if we kept our original farm acreage arsenal intact we could get a little more for everything,instead of participating in trying to over do the cbot traded commods? It seems the longgevity would be better!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Re: Don"t zig-zag

I agree that corn belt farmers have modified their acreage a little over the years, but I also think that for the most part we are settling into a pretty stable rotation.  The big acreage switches are in the fringe states, I think, where soybeans, corn, cotton and even rice may be an option.

I think that it would be interesting to see if a general farm could survive these days.  It would seem that a balanced rotation with animal manure might work.  Not sure.

In any event, when it comes to "buying acres" I think most of the acres are being bought and sold in the plains states and South, not in the midwest.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rightone
Senior Contributor

Re: More and more Western grass going

into wheat then dryland corn etc..

Western KS, Dakotas, Eastern CO.

Minimum till and roundup have made it all fairly feasible most years.  

0 Kudos
chipster22
Veteran Contributor

Here in NW Ohio they hay prices are lower than a year ago.  Alfalfa yields were excellent in 2010 and there seems to be a glut of hay locally.

I've been cautioning some of my buyers to expect higher prices in the future.   It will be interesting to see how many hay fields remain with the temptation to plant corn and soybeans at their high prices.  However, I'm keeping my hay fields because I expect hay to catch up and maybe others will do the same.

Rob SC NE
Contributor

In our area, which some of you central Corn Belt guys would regard as "fringe," most of what can be plowed up for row crops pretty much has been.  Have some pasture to rent that's in pretty high demand, because of general unavailability.

Wonder how much CRP is coming into production this year?

Rob

0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

1.8 million acres.

0 Kudos
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

What's the source for that 1.8 million. Does it break down by state?

0 Kudos