cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erikjohnson61y
Veteran Advisor

Drought Monitor may not reflect what new corn hybrids can do

I'm in SE South Dakota, and we've been in D2 Severe Drought since early June, and for about a month were borderline to a D3 Extreme Drought to our south. Since it ended dry last year, with La Nina predicted to last at least until spring, I ordered 80% of one of my favorite seed numbers - Golden Harvest G07-V88 - as it typically yields 30 bushels better than anything else on my ground, and is only beaten by Artesian numbers for drought tolerance.  It's rootworm corn, so the other 20% is refuge numbers.

0807211525_HDR.jpg

 

This is my "Little girl" in some of my better V88 corn. Except my "Little girl" will be a senior at SDSU this month and is a half inch shy of 6' tall. How do you get 12' tall corn and ears 6' off the ground in a Severe Drought??  Granted, the hilltops aren't as pretty, but it's a far cry from 2012 so far. This is not what I expect to see in a "Severe Drought". Some of my neighbors that I know also selected seed for drought tolerance have similar looking fields. There are some others that are starting to look pretty tough though.

Full disclosure: in anticipation of the possibility of dryness, I added an extra 25# each of MAP and Potash to the fall prescriptions, and 35# extra urea in the spring. I figured if there's less water to bring in nutrients, I better have more nutrients. Population is 27,000. Plant date May 14. And of course, since this is my favorite number by far, Golden Harvest is planning on phasing it out of their lineup...

3 Replies
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Drought Monitor may not reflect what new corn hybrids can do

In areas June and July are simply switched this year. 

June was hot and dry... July cooler,  overcast with  some rains.. Sparing rains. 

 

Kinda strange.   Some have never seen it play like 2021 has .

 

0 Kudos
erikjohnson61y
Veteran Advisor

Re: Drought Monitor may not reflect what new corn hybrids can do

Pulled an ear in a field with the same number about 5 miles away from the above pic.

0808211958.jpg

16 rows x about 32 kernels if you ignore butt and tip couple of rows. If it can make the test weight, that should be about 160 bpa. My APH is 165 on that farm. Again, not what I'd expect from a "Severe Drought"

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Drought Monitor may not reflect what new corn hybrids can do

Spoiler
Spoiler
spotty moisture equals a spotty total crop  .

Just no way around it. 
0 Kudos