cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Drought devlopment

Hey guys, was wondering if some states are starting to dry and if the heat will move east?

Right now rains going everywhere but my way in Ontario. Corn is good, Soys good for moisture. About 16% of my wheat lacks moisture through grainfill... The balance will be great. Halfway or more done.

So what's the deal? Are we going to see drought stress or what?

Ps, plow pans ( and disk pans)are brutally obvious in corn now... Some ppl criticize sandy loams, but I don't see any of my corn rolling. B careful w fall tillage!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Drought devlopment

Our Kansas drought started to develop some 3 or 4 years ago.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Couple weeks ago lots if corn was starting to curl(southern Ohio). But lots of rain since, maybe three to five inches. Most corn is now seven to ten feet tall and starting to tassel. Btw not sure why corn gets so tall around here. Same varieties planted seventy miles north west mature much shorter.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Yeah my corn is only 3 ft tall. 10 ft is too big!!

I did pick high yielding short varieties though.. Likely add on 2-3 ft as we go
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That is short varieties. When I had cattle and planted silage varieties it would often get over twelve feet tall. I wander if it's because we have so many hills and trees that shorten our days by just a frew minutes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

West Central NE.

Corn on lighter soil is starting to heat curl, no major yield loss yet, but it won't take long on the dryland ground for it to be hurting.

Irrigated corn looks very good to excellent, but is 10 days to 2 weeks behind normal, and maybe 3 weeks behind last year, especially as you go into Eastern NE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

farmguy.....you heading is an oxymoron of a statement. Developing drought. I know we all like higher prices, but the weather forecast is bullish yield, bearish price. The least amount of abnormally dry areas in corn growing country than I can ever remember and nothing in site but perfect weather. If it were not for the cruddy corn in parts of Iowa and Minnesota in my back yard. We could be facing a record US national yield. As it is now and with this forecast, I see this yield way over-shooting where I thought it could a month ago. I think it is quite likely we break 13.5 billion a full billion more than I expected in June.....JP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Farmerguy89, the two pics of burned up corn below are pictures of some of my 2012 corn crop.... That was drought! Below the drought pictures is what my corn looks like today. Its hard to be bullish corn price when the majority of the eastern cornbelt looks this good.

DSC03560.JPGDSC03562.JPGDSC04448.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Great recovery BSF. Good looking corn. I agree, it's hard to be bullish with the exception of what we are hearing on this site.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I wouldn't get too worked up about a picture of decent looking corn.......that is what it is supposed to look like.

0 Kudos