cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Dry for early April

My area of NW Ohio had 11+" of rain last growing season, but little snow this winter and ome significant rain event in January, about 2".  In this heavy clay it's usually too wet to do anything until real late April or most years, early May.  My woods on the back 44 is normally flooded until mid June and it's as dry as a bone.  The cattle are staying fairly clean even in a dirt feed lot.  I think I could probably work ground if we had normal temps instead of nightly mid 20s.  Last year must have really sucked the subsoil moisture dry.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Dry for early April

nwobcw,     Two weeks ago we bored large 3' diameter holes 7' deep to install some tall poles for a school baseball backstop.  Had to leave them sit overnight to pour concrete the next day.  When we came back the next day, there was at the most only 6" of water in the holes.  In most years those holes would've been half full of water .  The subsoil is dry.   There could be guys working ground here by the end of the week.    (Hancock county)

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

you 2 are really sayin' something----your areas are supposedly outta the drought.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Tx is getting bone dry again---like 2011-----I don't know about bkadds in panhandle?

0 Kudos
Advisor

No change really. Most have been pouring water to the wheat as it was showing its dryness. Rain chances yesterday and today look to be a bust again. Cannot remember the last time we got an inch of rain in one event.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

It rained here on Easter ! You guys know what that means -- Here's some inside info -- look for Indiana to get there corn planted in the mud = high yields . lol

0 Kudos
Advisor

Ottawa-Lucas county here.  The wheat has been looking good all winter but could use some rain now.  It's all top dressed so it needs it now.   It's very similar to last year moisture wise but temps are sure colder.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Yes cx1  We had good crops last year because of 9" of rain in July and August but it's all gone now.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

ECIN,

i just noticed on your local 7 day forecast it says "colder" for next Wed. Apr.10

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I think a weather forum is something we'd all enjoy. What do you all think the management of the site would do or say if we all requested one?
0 Kudos