cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

EPA 30-DAY PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD

This is merely a Public Service Announcement:

The EPA is in the middle of a 30-day public-input comment period re: Biofuels...

"EPA will hold a public hearing on Oct. 30, 2019 followed by a 30-day comment period from the date of the hearing to receive public input on these issues..."

"The notice does not change the proposed volumes for 2020 and 2021. Instead, it proposes and seeks comment on adjustments to the way that annual renewable fuel percentages are calculated....

Specifically, the agency is seeking comment on projecting the volume of gasoline and diesel that will be exempt in 2020 due to small refinery exemptions based on a three-year average of the relief recommended by the Department of Energy (DOE), including where DOE had recommended partial exemptions."

https://www.epa.gov/renewable-fuel-standard-program/proposed-volumes-2020-and-biomass-based-diesel-v...

================

This was the EPA's November 2018 "Renewable Fuel Standard Program:  Standards for 2019 and Biomass-Based Diesel Volume  for 2020" report.  It responded to comments from a variety of organizations submitting comments, covering such topics as waivers.  The list of organizations submitting comments is a real eye-opener.

If you haven't had the opportunity to read last year's report, here is the link:

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100VU6V.pdf

4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: EPA 30-DAY PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD

"The notice does not change the proposed volumes for 2020 and 2021."

"it proposes and seeks comment on adjustments to the way that annual renewable fuel percentages are calculated..."

Only a federal employee or a congressman could put those two in the same sentence.

Thanks for this .............................  enjoyable reads and interesting responses.....

Not many normal citizens on that list....

Advisor

Re: They aren't seeking comment on it, they're telling you how ...

The EPA isn't seeking comment on it, they're telling you how they're going to calculate the volume of exempted ethanol by a formula that dramatically underestimates it by using the 2015 number in their calculation.  Then they're using this drastically lower number to lower the re-allocate needed in 2020 & beyond. 

And there is absolutely no intention to re-allocate any of the ethanol exempted in previous years. 

It's a screw job by the trump administration, plain & simple.

But I guess Midwestern corn producers are so in love with trump that it doesn't matter to them that trump's EPA  won't even follow the RFS as written.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: They aren't seeking comment on it, they're telling you how ...

The problem pre-dates Trump.  Congress needs to hold EPA to what was approved.  And, my understanding is that EPA was to re-allocate based on an average of what was estimated to be waived, not the much greater number that was actually waived.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: EPA 30-DAY PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD

The Farm Bureau has me firing emails to Grassley Ernst and King, but they are on our side and it`s getting to where I say "I know you support ethanol and us farmers, thank you" and they reply back positively although they must be knee deep in emails by now.  Smiley Happy  And I`ve sent a couple to EPA and received a text from Farm Bureau to send them another one.  So I`m doing my part.