cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

Early planted corn poll

Just wrote a piece (full story) talking about the value of planting corn early--in terms of reducing heat risk. The upshot of a new study is that in large parts of the Corn Belt the risks outweigh the benefits.  

What other benefits can be gained by planting very early? Is there a marketing angle--selling new crop corn for Sept. or Oct. delivery, for example?

Also, wonder if this year's early planted crop has been overestimated, given these findings?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Early planted corn poll

John, I just replanted 60 acres of corn yesterday......It is still about two weeks ahead of when we were able to plant our corn last year. Can I consider that early planted?   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

John, I think you forgot to mention the simplest reason for early corn planting.... Weather. I don't farm all that many acres but if the weather and ground is fit and its within the crop insurance window for planting... Why not?

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

'Cause there's no telling that I'm going to get a better chance.

Been there and done it.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

polination before heat John.

Last couple of years the July heat has come in early june so we put it off more now hoping to polinate behind the heat.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I agree with BSF.  When it is fit, you plant.  Simple.  It's not because of what you hope to get out of it so much as that the window is there and you don't let a window go by.  Looked at that way, it's more about the risks of planting early (frost, cold wet weather) etc. than about the rewards of planting early.  Different direction of looking a tthe issue.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Plant early so you get a good handle on how long you will need to allocate for the replant. This years TOO early of planting kind of showed me who the "farmers" were and who were "growers"

0 Kudos
arnfarm735
Senior Contributor

Seems like I remeber the bad years better than the good. Also seems like "last year" always affects what we do the next  (planting, marketing, seed control, etc.) -- probably with completely different conditions and results. So we try to learn and use an "average year" approach.

Example of "not an average year:"   One year we started planting corn around April 25 (BTW the date we finished this year) but many neighbors said it was too cold so they waited. It started raining May 2 (never big rains but .3 to .5 every other day) and the next time we got into the field was May 28. Those "early" planted acres of ours looked good. Those who had none planted worked 20 hrs/day until June 5th then switched to soybeans.

Have a cousin in SW Iowa that told me the first week in May is the ideal time to plant corn in their area. My question was: "Is the last week in April worse than the third or fourth week in May?"  I agree with those who say, "When conditions are right and the 6-10 day forecast looks relatively warm, go for it. You may not get a chance on the ideal date."

Just remember, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

0 Kudos