cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Ehoff, from the other site

SW, sobering post. These probably are/were "the good old days".

I know I am tightening my belt up a lot and looking to sell any surplus equipment I have to get as lean and mean as I can.

Spent plenty of money in the last decade, hopefully I don't live to regret much of the decisions.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Driving around the midwest last year, I noticed boats and campers at the end of driveways with "for sale" signs, this year I see strip-til machines, sprayers and wagons for sale.  Last year was clean up the toys for cashflow, this year it`s digging a little deeper.    Or maybe they all just bought new campers, boats and strip-til machines   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

BA, I never cease to be amazed at how much people spend on campers in America. You can buy a used camper for peanuts, guess that the maintenance is a killer on them, and a used one is not a status symbol like a $40 or $50 K one is, pulled by a $70K truck.

North side of Lake Crystal is a "bargain lot" for a camper sales site, and it keeps on growing in size.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yeah, around here there are old gravel pits and the owner rents out spaces for campers.."Clear Lake for poor people!"  one guy described them as Smiley Very Happy     But they pack dozens around the old pit and a zip line or whatever for kids and all sorts of drinking and debauchery goes on among the "grownups" .  

Old boats are the same deal, a buddy bought a nice looking fiberglass one at the Dexter sale for $140.  He sold the 150hp outboard for $1,000 but no one wants a fiberglass boat not even for a cow water tank.   One dealer told him to tow it in the middle of a lake and chop a hole in it  Uff-Dah!   I told him to chop it in little pieces and burn them in the middle of a snow storm, because that fiberglass is worse than burning tires...from what I`ve been told.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Ba,  the 50-60 time hay day was to the west.  Kansas & nebraska, southern panhandle region — took $100 or less per acre ground, developed Irrig with cheap power and turned 30 bushel ground to 180 bushel ground while the feedlots and packers boosted our markets.  Our land costs stayed below 200/a nearly into the 70’s—— and there are irrigation wells drilled in the late 60’s and early 70s still producing yet to be redrilled. That opportunity won’t be back. I contend Monsanto claimed those gains statistically when they testified before congress and skewed usdas view of trends.  Along with many other improvements. 

289–

The Holcomb fire.    The Reuter’s story in SF July 16 claiming effects on the cattle market is absolutely false.  I been to the feeder markets as well as the local grocery markets and the premise of the article is false and no research was done.  Markets have been unchanged.  Feeders may have gone down some - not up. Futures went down.  

Liberal. No effect.   I thought there might be another shift added but not so far.  Cattle numbers have not been high as years back for some time and all the packers appear to have had room to adjust.  They made some great promises to their workers so they must be hoping to get back going ASAP .  Feedlots are full but we took several lots out or to dairy support that never came back to beef .  Dairy took several locations. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Vr,  thanks for the comment, you have a longer time with sf than I do.  

I think the problem in blog media is the same as the print content and will be similar in farming as size of farms grow. When you hire out the planting, spraying and harvesting while you manage larger acres we loose a feel for what doesn’t work.  SF (and others) do the same.  Job out blog management and design.  Buy other written content and donated research. So their not researching, writing, etc.  something is lost.  Content quality is hard to maintain.  Cost control becomes priority. 

Honored Advisor

If AgTalk has a "problem"it`s too many participants, someone will ask a question and another will reply "Oh that was discussed this morning here`s the link" and sure enough the discussion from the morning was already buried on page 3.  

0 Kudos