cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Elevators Refusing More?

I was in Nebraska this past weekend, and a few of my farmer buddies mentioned an elevator that had filled up so many times within a few days that they straight-up refused to take any soybeans for a whole day.

Is this happening in your area?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Elevators Refusing More?

Not in my area JRae.  The only way to get refused is if you bring in a load over their maximum moisture limits.  Keep in mind in my area no commercial elevators have any drying capabilities any more, all of our grain needs to naturally dry in the fields.

Generally they'll accept 1 load of wet grain but if you refuse to shut down I've heard they will not accept additional loads.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Happens every year here (Ohio). Maybe because our weather isn't good for flat storage. When they are full, they are full, till they get a train. This time of year they fill the trains as fast as the railroads can bring and switch them. It can take a few days to make room to get back to taking corn or beans.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

It might just be for mechanical reasons.Years ago my local co-op used the same leg to load out rail cars that they used to reach the old bins that they used for corn or beans depending on the year.It was alot faster to shut everyone off and load 25 cars from the main bin  than to try to switch back and forth.Might also mean that the beans are better than the elevators planned on.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Before they upgraded the elevator I usually sell, to they would do what Waterloo is talking about. It sucked to get up early load a load of beans, just to get an email as you were pulling out of the driveway saying "no beans today, the corn train has arrived".
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Last few years (despite objections to farmer
Owners) the coop will not accept soybeans
For storage, must be on a price later contract.
Basicly the same as "no dumping".
0 Kudos