I thought you guys might  like this.

Jen

Copy of Cost Comparisons 2 Jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
16 Replies
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

Re: Energy Cost Comparisons

Thanks Jenny, wish I could get LP for $1.70. 

0 Kudos
HMVE
Frequent Contributor

so...are you burning corn or wood pellets?

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I did the calculations using what I could get these various fuel items for locally here in Cannon Falls, MN.

I currently am using wood pellets in my corn stove, since at the auction I sold my 50 Bu seed boxes that I had used for corn storage in the winter.  If anyone has a couple of them you'd like to sell, let me know.  I have a supplier that has last years (58# corn) at 12% moisture that I would like to get and mix with the wood pellets.  We do have natural gas, and it is a bit cheaper than the wood pellets, but I like the heat better from the corn stove.

Jen

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I did the calculations in November when I was trying to see if it was feasible to use the corn stove.  I was happy to see that it was.

Jen

0 Kudos
jweiser1925
Frequent Contributor

Jen,

What would that be if we left the corn on the cob?

Jim W

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

My Propane Calculation for the % More on the chart isn't right.  It should be 120% more - and that's at the $1.70 figure.

Jen

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Jweiser1925, I used a value of 9000 btu's per pound for the corn.  If the corn is lighter test weight, I still believe that it has less BTU's per pound, from my personal experience.

If you include the cob in there, the cob has fiber, and burns, but not nearly at the same BTU's as the starch in the corn.  You would probably drop the BTU's per pound down to about 8000, but have more poundage because of the cob.  Net value verses shell corn would increase, if you're not paying for the cob.

Jen

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

What works good for me is a older gravity flow wagon.  I removed the chute below the door and replaced it with a custom made chute with large square holes overlaid with 1/4 inch wire screen.  This sifts out the fines.  The corn then slides over a 1/2 inch wire screen and drops into a large rectangle tub.  This separates the cob and stalks from the clean corn.  My corn stove works best with very clean corn.  With the current wind-chill of -40 we do run our LP furnace a little.

Current LP price here, CIA $1.99.  

0 Kudos
KY_TOBDirt
Senior Contributor

Don't know what LP is here now, but when I filled up in mid August, paid 1.28 for it.
Neighbor as got a corn stove and using the on a regular basis this year, last 2 years only used
It when was really cold. What a diffence 4 to 4.40 verses 7.50 to 8 dollar corn makes!!
0 Kudos