cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Re: Energy Cost Comparisons

Jenny...LP in Nort. Cent  Wi.... $2.20     Everything here seems too cost more!!   John

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

OUCH!!  I know - inputs for my farm always seemed to be more than here in MN, and the outputs less.  I always hated the fact that our crop basis was based on going to the river (Mississippi), even when much of what we grew (especially corn) stayed local for the dairy and ethanol industries.  Just another way to get money out of the farmer.

Jen

0 Kudos
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Are you sure your numbers are correct for 14 or even 15 % moisture corn. I looked in to a corn burner several years ago. At the time the BTUs advertised were for 10%. As I tried to calculate cost verses natural gas the payoff was five years. I don't live at my farm and handling that volume at my city house would have been a little work too.
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Buckfarmer, that's the biggest issue on corn for the corn stove - what are you actually paying for?  BTU's on corn are calculated on Standard #2 corn.  56# test weight and I assume 15.5 on the moisture to produce 9000 BTU's per pound.  But - I don't have the means to test the BTUs in corn.  I know that low test weight corn (below 53 #) is about worthless for burning.  The same probably for moisture, as the more moisture in the corn the more you have to drive off to get it to burn.  I liked my corn stove corn to be 12% or less, and when I had my own dryer I would dry it to that and then screen out the fines, and put it in my seed boxes for the winter.  It worked great.  Now I'm at the mercy of what's out there, which is why this year it's been wood pellets.  A lot of corn up here this year sucked, with low test weights, which like I said, doesn't heat very well.  So.... am I sure of the corn BTU #'s - I didn't test it myself, so my answer is no.  I'm using numbers that I have garnered from mutiple sources.

Jen

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Nice site Wind - Thanks...

Jen

0 Kudos