cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Senior Advisor

Energy Markets

Texas  ERCOT , announced  yesterday to  CONserve  energy  usage  -  -  -

The  privatized  organization  seems  to  struggle as  the  seasons  change -  -  -

We  hear  the  antics  of  succession , leaves one asking if they  would  put  re$ources, efforts into modernizing the electrical grid and  leave  the  threshing of the politics aside my be a better effort - - -

Building a  Tesla plant with enormous TAX BREAK INSENTIVES , maybe keeping the lights on for their existing customers would be a priority - - -           

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Energy Markets

And just think, the guy who put the whole scheme together used to be our Secretary of Energy.

I think he’s hiding out in a cotton patch down there after getting jammed up in some Ukrainian hijinks.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Wind and sun maps from yesterday look pretty good.

Armadillos?

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

TX is blessed with an almost unique abundance of both wind and solar resources.

Of course the state is run for the benefit of oil and gas barons- really nothing new there for the last century. They also have heavy holdings in those "private" utilities as well as enjoying the demand if they burn gas.

I only suffer fools gladly to a limited degree, but as far as the many outright false assertions made here in a conversation on the topic goes- peak electric demand for TX is during the day, in Summer. It can spike to a normal Summer type level briefly with an occasional arctic incursion but Summer heat is weeks, months in a stretch at very high load.

Solar matches that perfectly, wind pretty well. When the ACs are really pulling power, the sun is shining in W TX and the wind is almost certainly blowing up on the High Plains.

The "problem" is that in a "deregulated" market, those are the peak pricing periods. The utilities don't want to have that cash cow taken away from their conventional generation assets but at the same time nobody in their right mind is going to build a lot of conventional capacity today. So they dragged their feet to pad their pockets.

If the Good Folk of TX are more concerned about keeping people from voting, letting everybody carry guns, making sure that racism is taught in public schools them I guess that's their right.

BTW, TX has a higher average state and local tax burden on low and middle income earners than CA. 

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Russell Gold on Twitter: "Imagine if a gallon of gas in OK City was $2.90 and $65 in Dallas. This is...

911- Energy Robbery In Progress!!!!

Boys over at Forum are squealin' like shoats in the chute over $3.16 gas. 

Just for some perspective, if you just compound the modest inflation since 2008, $4.50 gas then is about $6 today.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

SD,

For as smart as you think you are you sure have things inside out and cornfused.

It's NOT inflation it is pure and simple devaluation/dilution of the dollar.

You are just blindly following the liberal talking points in your little bubble.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Should we bring back Paul Volker economic policy    - ? 

What does the Dollar  valuation  have to do with the antics of Texas energy debacle - ? 

0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

Amazing, SD had 4 posts in a row again, volume makes up for substance I guess.   So is Texas looking at rolling blackouts because of the power usage or are they doing just fine.  I guess when we have a blizzard here in Nebraska and lose power due to electrical failings of lines and substations, I guess that is just the greed of the energy companies.  You are such a hoot.   Markets down big time since Biden made his statement that looking at waivers for the RFS due to some refineries having issues with the cost of blending, that is on top of the predicted pattern change of moisture for us.  One of these times, the predicted rain will actually get here and be enough to do some good.  

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

NE is part of the national grid.

Anybody who even tries to argue this one- particularly after disseminating lies regarding the cold event- is a dangerous idiot. 

It does get sort of annoying having to respond to people who are immune from incontrovertible real world evidence.

Heads stuck in a propaganda bubble.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

As far as RFS goes, I doubt this administration is going to accept gas shortages to please the ethanol Lobby.

If it did protect the Lobby they might hold the 2% of the vote that it got from it last time, which is about 2% of 2%.

A problem for agriculture. Do the math.

And, I suppose a good reason to overthrow the Constitution- an abridgment of the Right To Good Corn Prices.

0 Kudos