cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Report from Puddleville

Look to the w sw Hobby, it's closer than you think.  How can  these systems recharge so fast???

We picked up another .86 past 24 hours just north of 44.  There where inches north and west of here.  

Wind

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Enough in IA?

c-x-1,  52 counties in IA. are under a "flash flood watch."  Over half the state.  The moisture feed is still aimed at the heart of the corn belt. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

report from puddleville

The one training through south central Ioway is just sliding about 4 miles north of me right now.  The rumbling of thunder just over the rise.

Went to Des Moines yesterday afternoon for a parts run and saw very few unplanted fields along the way.

Lots of good looking crops, just not any perfect fields. Most had big yellow areas but lots of good areas too. Three days of sunny days really helped. Much of that area was getting some hail last night according to the local weather man that kept breaking into the tv program every 7 1/2 minutes with updates.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, all this rain moving into Iowa this morning is just Icing on the Cake. No way is Iowa going to produce a good corn crop this year.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Whoops......

Anyway - we all know that rain makes grain and I'm sure that many more piles will be filling the streets of Iowa this year.

For what ever reason, the powers that be just don't believe us that are on the farm looking at this every day. I still believe that in the end we will be looking at something less than a 12 bbl corn crop. Just too many poor acres, mudded in acres, not planted acres, behind acres. Those that invest in the corn market simply aren't buying, and the won't buy in until they are more certain that they can make a profit. Right now it seems most of the money is rolling into the stock market (which by the way looks a lot like the dot coms a while back - built on a less than solid foundation, this is a house of cards outbuilding it's support structure). When the investors feel more is to be made in commodities, they'll be back. In the meantime, I'm going to buy some more corn calls, lock the bins on what I have left, and enjoy the rest of my vacation.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Ida:

Everybody that has tiled land usually gets thing done timely. Granted there will be times where tile don't mean anything, like an 1" a day when your set to drain 0.5"/day.

You guys need to stop mudding it and go pp. your mudding will hurt you for a while. You don't get near as much frost as me up north. And your chiseling tools won't fix a **bleep** thing. You've been at war with the la d for many months without a break. You need to. E relieved
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have spent $100,000's and $100,000's of dollars on drain tilling for my Iowa farms. But when you get rain every darn day, tilling doesn't get the water off your fields that quick. I don't have alot of standing water on my farms, just way too muddy to get the planters out in the fields.For Northern Iowa, this year is worse than the 1993 Flood year, alot more Northern Iowa farms will grow ZERO corn this year compared to 1993.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

i see that, Wind on the NWS site - M. Nature is continuing her unrelenting ways - Menopause???

This image displays watches, warnings, statements and advisories issued by the National Weather Service

0 Kudos