cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John From S. MN.
Frequent Contributor

Ethanol and GMO

A former enviromental opponent changes his tune and supports GMO crops and now gets

.....behind our genetically modified crops. That indeed do protect the environment and contribute vastly to feed help feed a hungry world. Not one stitch of empirical evidence exists that does not support their use to further the worlds need to feed itself. But of course the kooks rally on blindly and threaten to kill millions through starvation caused by the lack of the now abundant safer food-supply. I on my farm use much less nasty chemicals now and can double the people I can feed off one acre than I did when I first started farming 35 years ago and at the same time feed efficient cars that can burn an inert safe fuel made from just the excess starch in my corn (ethanol) and still feed the livestock with what is left. With Ethanol we get our cake and get to eat too. 90% of the energy I and the distiller uses to produce the safe renewable ethanol fuel is in the form of Natural Gas a more abundant cleaner burning fossil fuel. And use 66% less diesel fuel through minimum tilling allowed by the GMO crops......Please don't get caught up in the uninformed hype (like the guy in the video did before actually studying the facts)........The American farmer is the King of safe food and fuel......eternally working to give you a more safe food and fuel as each year passes in my career...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s__p_zsSDJ8 .......JP
PS.... 1 acre of my land can produce 600 gallons of ethanol and still feed 200 chickens all whilst I burn 3 gallons of diesel fuel. Far cry from the lies and innuendo of the conspiracy believer on the internet. They forget truth matters......It is time us farmers get the truth out and quit relying on others to do it for us.......JP
15 Replies
stewartbundrick
Contributor

Re: Ethanol and GMO

Wow John, where have you been??? Really enjoyed your posts years ago. Stewart

0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, John! Welcome back! Great to see your name on here again. Look forward to hearin' what's going on up in your neck of the woods! 

So, are you completely waterlogged up there?

0 Kudos
Slim123
Senior Contributor

Welcome back John, we have missed you!

0 Kudos
slim5819
Contributor

This "Slim" who is mainly a reader/lurker missed your comments also.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

John From S. MN.,

Welcome back! I know that it's been years since you have darkened our site's door. However, I'm sure you have been a good lurker. Smiley Happy

The GMO discussion is certainly heating up. As it relates to the markets, the U.S. farmer is being challenged to raise more on the same acreage. I'm hearing that farmers are not willing to pay $10,000 for the farm down the road. Instead, they are trying to improve their own farmland. Commodity prices drive land prices. As farmers prepare solid marketing plans, input costs are certainly a big part of that. If it's not going to be GMO's, the costs of weed control could certainly change the break-even couldn't it?

By the way, how is the corn basis in your area? Are you pricing any new-crop yet?

Thanks for checking in,

Mike 

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

OK I'll bite.

Certainly true that many vocal opponetns of GMOs don't bring much if any science and reason to the debate. To me the question is if that then calls for a response with simplicitic talking points that are nearly as narrow.

I think that genetic modification may offer huge benefits in the future and we need to keep investing in the technology. But as far as the first wave of commercialized products I've gotta say that I think it has only provided modest net benefit, at best, and possibly not to the extent that meets a precautionary principle that should apply when messing with things with unknown consequences.

RR is the most broadly used and the best example. It provided some benefits but I really wasn't near cycnical enough when I was invited to be part of a focus group concerning the introduction of RR corn. I expressed concerns that farmers wouldn't rotate chemistry as "suggested" and resistances would spoil the whole thing. It happened faster than even I thought and anecdotally there was a whole lot of ignoring those "suggestions" by some farmers from the very start. 

So now we're dumping more chemistry, releasing new lines resistant to different chemistryetc. Nothing accomplished at all except the camel got his nose under the tent and then walked away with it on his back.

As fas as ethanol, I've done the rough calculations any number of times here to show that if you work real hard you might be able to show corn ethanol contributing 1% of our net energy supply.  And at this point I think this is the big question- if we start to catch up on grain stocks, is it the job of ethanol production to just keep expanding in order to keep supplies on razor's edge and make sure that the bloated cost of production is met?

Ethanol may have helped us some back when refinery capacity was tight- certainly not a problem now with gas demand falling continually and lots of crude supply.  Something was going to have to replace MTBE as a oxgenator. 

The question is, if we'er hitting an original target of 14 bgy (or really, probably should be more like 9 or 10 to hit the '99 CAA)  is there a reason to stretch for 17?

Really a lot like pouring 10 oz a minute into a bucket with a 9 oz/min leak.

PS. Even though I'm pretty well convinced that "the new oil paradigm" contains at least as much baloney as "speak up for GMOs" sort of talking points, if you really believe that there is a huge abundance of oil being discovered that is somewhat problematic to the ethanol industry as well.  In a rational world, and none of this is particularly.

0 Kudos
John From S. MN.
Frequent Contributor

We are waterlogged yes. 2 inches this weekend and 5 inches over the last 2 weeks. But we are far better than many and have all the corn planted and bulk of the beans from Blue Earth, west. A little less from Blue Earth East.....JP

0 Kudos
John From S. MN.
Frequent Contributor

Thank-you for your kind words....JP

0 Kudos
John From S. MN.
Frequent Contributor

Basis is 35 over the July. New crop corn I am priced out on established yields at about 5.90 basis the dec futures.....Today I lifted a portion of the hedges concerned about the water-logged Iowa. I am all corn for the 3rd year in a row. Our ground is better suited to corn and I found it more profitable with zero yield drag.......JP

0 Kudos