cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Ethanol supporters take notes

for any of you whom are actually pro ethanol, you should be taking notes from several threads that have developed over the last several days.  What you should be doing is looking at the arguments made by those whom are not pro ethanol and should present those arguments to your local Corn Growers and ask for a rebuttal.  Put the pressure on your U.S. senator, believe you me the other groups are.  Pretend you are at a Lincoln/Douglas debate and be devils' advocate, see if there is a winning argument.  If you haven't figured it out yet, there are several groups that are already in action to repeal all that you have worked for.  I have said in the past, that I believe that many ag groups are inept.  I believe  that patriot was offended by this.  I still believe  this to be true, although I am active in several.   For those of you that believe in ethanol and are members in whatever group, I encourage you to do as me, get off your can and go to bat, because a battle is coming and sitting  around  and mumbling at the coffee shop will yield nothing.  Go to your local or state  NCGA meetings and speak now.   That is what I am going to do.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Ethanol supporters take notes

Well written, I am all for ethanol too. But I want it to exist without tax help. It needs to stand on its own two feet. Like other businesses in this country, We are broke as a nation everyone is gonna have to give something up.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Riddle me this.   If grain growers, since a rising tide lifts all ships, gave up $6billion a year in direct payments and paid for the ethanol subsidies themselves, and the prices were the same as today, would the  "let it stand on its own two feet crowd" be satisfied, I highly doubt it.  Or, if  grain growers imposed a .20 a bushel corn/wheat ethanol checkoff and or .25 soybeans, and the price was the same, would that change people's minds, no it would not.  Because the fact there is  a subsidy has nothing to do with the vitriol.  Or combine the two, give up diret payments and add in a checkoff and prices were the same, they still would not be satisfied.  The problem is the current price of grain.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I couldn't agree  more with both of you. And I'm not a cattle, hog, or chicken guy.

The farm has a 100% corn base, we grow corn.

But I think it is fundimentally wrong to give a blenders credit to the guy that splash blends some ethanol with some petroleum.

38% of corn use goes to ethanol.  Thats great but it should compete fairly with other uses like producing the meat I like to eat.

The credit may have been needed to prime the pump, but is not needed now.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I am disappointed that the blender's credit and tariff were extended and hope they are dropped when they expire.  I am not so sure about the ethanol mandate.  The subject is very complex and involves the environment, food prices and more.

I am strongly opposed to mandated ethanol blends.  I like it that in Iowa we can buy non-ethanol fuel if we wish.  I buy almost exclusively ethanol, but there are a few cases where I prefer the straight stuff.  And, as a pilot, ethanol is permitted in very few airplanes to it's nice to have car gas for those engines where it is allowed.

We have a hard job to do educating people.  What I find is that most come up with very old and inaccurate information, like ethanol takes more energy to produce than it delivers.  It's useful to be able to point to USDA or peer-reviewed studies of recent information to refute these bogus stories.  Many of the ethanol haters are rabidly emotional about it, so providing facts doesn't convince them but it takes some of the wind out of their sails and makes the emotional quotient of their argument stand out more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I see  ethanol as a fuel additive and not a major source of fuel.  It makes gasoline burn more purely with out MCPB, a nasty compound.  The oil industry enjoys a depreciation allowance that makes ethanol blenders' credit pale by comparison.  The bushels 'lost' to ethanol produce a protein source widely used by the cattle industry. When waiting to unload at the local ethanol the  trucks hauling DDG's away are in a line as long as mine.  I asked one of my oldest neighbors if she had ever eaten field corn and she just wrinkled her nose and said not even in the depression.  Yellow corn is fed to animals not people.  Whether you eat meat is a personal choice.  I prefer beef, pork, and chicken to a vegan diet. 

Senior Advisor

BTW, one of the features of the ethanol debate is that many of the ethanol hate groups are openly emotional about the issue.  They are not much interested in objectivity or facts unless the facts support their predilection.  The food vs. fuel group belongs in this camp, as does the subsidy crowd that cherry picks statistics.  It's all about sound bites and a fast, "feel good" pitch.  Their misconceptions about agriculture and farming are mind boggling.

0 Kudos
Advisor

You said a mouthful there Jim.  There is so much misinformation floating around the general public about ag it is unreal.  When a non-farmer asks a question they look at me in disbelief when I answer them.  As if I'm lieing to them.   Why would I lie and why do they ask in the 1st place.  It gets frustrating.   They will believe the NBC nightly news but not a person directly involved in ag.   Then to top it off I'll tell them  to listen to me, not the liberals on TV.   Their expression defines their party. haha

0 Kudos
Advisor

We need  to be careful about saying which subsidies are unnecessary or the most "worthy".  Everyone here benfits from some credit, subsidy, or govt. mandated program. Now, we want to say that ours is necessary, but you can't have yours? From a pure economic standpoint, severe  cuts in govt. spending make sense until it is our student loan, ethanol subsidy, rural police protection, or medicare benefit that gets cut. Why are people even buying any GM product? they wouldn't even be standing without taxpayer intervention. When is govt. ok and when is it unfair.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Ida everybody probably has a different answer to that question.

0 Kudos