cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Ethanol use gets jolt

EPA approves higher levels of ethanol in gasoline. See (full story) here.

Will this save the worries of a crippled ethanol industry that faces an oversupply of Renewable Identification Numbers and a weakened policy for blenders?

Mike

0 Kudos
27 Replies
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Ethanol use gets jolt

Wow.......Did anyone see this coming?   

This might just use up that overproduction of ethanol that a few folks seemed to be worried about..

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Marketing/Interesting-quot-after-the-report-quot-info/td-p/15689...

EDIT:  kind of spooky aaaaaaaaaa................I am assuming the bears are in full hibernation mode and the ambulance chasers have at least one broken leg at this point............

0 Kudos
mid-west
Frequent Contributor

You have to wonder how many are already blending at 15%?

0 Kudos
patriot3031376
Veteran Contributor

Crippled ethanol industry? My plant made 10 mil last year. They are grinding 5 b bushels. Exported a b gallons.

The industry has taken the VEETC end in stride. The RIN situation is taking care of itself. RFS is intact. Crippled?

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

Thank you Mike for the news story.

Does this mean an end to E=10? And all E-10 pumps will now pump only E-15?

I am not talking blender pumps.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

I think it's great, use what we grow & let the terrorist eat what they grow, But be ready grain guys the target on our backs just got bigger, I would bet a livestock producer & Kansas fan can figure out a way for ethanol to be blamed for last nights game.

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

It goes beyond just appoving the manufacturing of E-15.  The mandate is for E-10, anything beyond that is up to the discression of  the gas stations, not pushed by the gooberment.  It means they need more underground storage tanks,  more pumps, and a  bigger supply system.  They would need A much bigger investment to supply E-15.  I don't see any wholesale changes to the bulk of the system.  The blender bump is what is needed, but they have been around for a few years and haven't taken off like the should, because of the cost to switch over.  In the end the only way to for sure lower the stockpile is to produce less or sell more.

0 Kudos
teaspoon73
Senior Contributor

You DO NOT need a separate tank or a pump , vrbuck. It will not harm your engine , as it is the most tested fuel  out there. The only reason it is not approved for 2001 and older models is the DOT could not find a broad enough sampling of older vehicles to put 100,000 miles on. Biggest problem during the testing was one vehicle hit a deer. Could blame ethanol for going to fast. Biggest fear of the petroleum market. They are about to loose another 5% of the market. RBOB at 3.40 and ethanol at 2.28. E-15 would give you almost 17 cents savings at the pump. The other comment made by the DOT and the EPA after running these tests multiple times was the more ethanol you put in the gas, the cleaner the emissions . Going to e-30 would eliminate almost all benzene emissions.  With refineries shutting down in the Northeastern US the supply of refined gas in that area is becoming more dependent on foreign shipments. While refiners in the Midwest enjoy a huge price advantage on crude. One of the main reasons the US imports less oil than it did 5 years ago is the 10% ethanol in the American fuel supply. Going to E-15 would drop it significantly more. Burn clean burning ethanol. Its AMERICAN made.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

teaspoon73,   Very nice post.......

0 Kudos