cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

Re: Ethanol use gets jolt

when the s/d for ethanol tightens due to E-15, the spread between RBOB and ethanol will narrow, which will negate some of that 17 cent savings......and that 17 cents is only available to the consumer IF the petro industry decides to share.....which I do not see E-10 selling at abnormally wide spreads to unleaded at the pump today.....

this will be good for existing ethanol plants, but the real question is whether anyone is willing to invest in new corn-based ethanol capacity?? The Clearfield/Bionol plant in Pennsylvania is up for auction by the BK court in next 15-30 days....will be interesting to see if someone wants an asset in a corn deficit region..

0 Kudos
Mike central IA
Veteran Contributor

Teaspoon73, thank you for stating that clearly.  There is a lot of misinformation floating around that seems to get recycled every so often. The same anti-ethanol crowd feeds the same line of fear mongering to the same gullible people and it all goes around again.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

patriot,

Perhaps 'crippled' was a little harsh, in this sense. But, there have been enough slowdowns and some shuttered ethanol plants, recently, to state that the industry is in an adjustment period. Don't you think? It's great to hear that your plant is thriving. I think many are. Since RIN's are tradeable between the blenders, you're probably right that the issue there is solvable. In the meantime, the market has to form an opinion about this situation. And, it will be interesting to see which direction it goes.

Mike

0 Kudos

You might have to put a caveat on that "won't hurt your engine" there Teaspoon. It has..and will cause some small engines problems. Especially older ones with diaphrams in their carburation that aren't designed for alcohol. It also will work over the diaphrams in older trucks with mechanical fuel pumps...and sometimes will shrink the tips on float needles in their carburetors. So if you have a gas truck or tractor that's from the mid 80's or older..you will eventually be fixing it. I was teasing the counter man (and owner) at the busiest small engine/lawn mower/chainsaw shop in the area the other day. He asked me if I needed anything else..and I said, yeah..how about 5 gallons of Aviation fuel for my pump motors. He said he didn't have any for sale...but his shop goes through about 20 gallons of it a week because they refuse to send small engines back out with ethanol in their tanks. It's something to think about when you're pulling and pulling the rope on your pump motor because there's so much water condensed in the tank that the engine won't run.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

Pup - I get your point about needle tips & diaphrams but please explain about water in the tank, I'm compelled to scream BS on that one.

0 Kudos

Infire, ethanol by it's nature attracts water. It also mixes rather poorly with petroleum products. And in pump motors and engines that aren't run all the time like chain saws...the ethanol will eventually attract enough water, to fill the bowls on carburetors. I have two fairly new Briggs motors (and one really old one) that cause me fits all the time. You can put gas in them...maybe run them a bit..then not use them for 3 weeks...and the next time you want to run them..you have to drain the water out of the float bowl. If you want to have some fun...just take a bottle ( An old time glass pop bottle would be excellent) and fill it 3/4 of the way with E10. Then put some kind of a cover over the top that allows a small amount of air in and out of the bottle (like the breather in the cap of a small engine would allow). Set it where it gets plenty of exposure to wind, and see what it looks like in 4 weeks. I've drained 6 measured ounces out of the fuel tank on my pressure washer that was sitting outside in that amount of time.

0 Kudos
infire
Veteran Contributor

I have to say that's a new one on me, I have all sorts of small engines on the farm & at the fire station, have never had that problem, I have had it age to where it no longer smells like gas & wont fire. I know achohol likes water just never heard of it pulling it out of the air & into a gas tank. Thanks for explaining

0 Kudos

I have to admit, it happens most often on the motors I have sitting outside on my fertilizer tank, and nurse tank. I used to think it had something to do with the newer plastic tanks on these motors...but my 30 year old 12 horse Briggs with a steel tank has the same problem. I don't think there is a direct leakage of water through the caps, because they no longer put a hole in the top of them...they have some sort of breather arraingement inside the cap. But it doesn't take much water, to mix with the alcohol to make it resistant to volatilization. It will actually seperate in a glass container if you leave it set for a while. I just drained a tank on a rototiller that didn't look like it had any water in it..but appeared cloudy. I put it in a glass measuring cup...and by the next day, it was clear...but there was a small amount of water/alcohol mix laying in the bottom of the cup.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Thanks Mike,

great info.  It is just a good move.

How about A little humor on a rainy day.----------------

I see down through the thread that you have drawn the anti ethanol comments.  

I pressed the  )))))bunk((((  button on buck immediately.

The other problems mentioned sound more like the problems I had with regular gas when we lost the lead.

I just put a glass of ethanol 8.375 inches from a glass of water on our shop bench and it they don't collide first, we are going to measure the distance at the end of the day to see how much affect all that attraction had.  🙂

Saw a school in Oakland had a shooting:  or was that a school district in Oakland didn't have a shooting?------In the news so -----Anyway we would have to assume those kids are hopped up on ethanol.-----------------------There you go buck, run with it.

0 Kudos

Some stations appear to think that dedicating pump space to E-85 has been a bust. Maybe they'll change those pumps over to E-15.

They could probably sell it for 5-6 cents less that E-10 before you get into incentives in various states.

0 Kudos