cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Europe restricts planting, but BUYS tons of Brazilian beans

The European Union may have unfriendly law with regards to genetically modified planting soybeans. However, the EU is the second largest destination (to China) of GMO soybean planted in Brazil. Among Brazil's 15 largest importing countries, six are European Union countries. According to the International Service of Applicable Biotechnologies, there are 67 varieties of GMO seeds approved for imports. On the other hand, just one variety of genetically modified potatoes is allowed to be planted in Europe.

So, do you guys think that Europe might become a good market for American agriculture as well?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Europe restricts planting, but BUYS tons of Brazilian beans

Thanks Luis,  a good bit of data.

SAY IT LOUDER.  

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Well, I guess I used CAPS. It's not something that I tend to do.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Just joking Luis.

I Wish our press was willing to print what you just reported.  But I am aftaid they never will.  We let them off easy every time.

Our Secretary of Agriculture should be pointing that out in public forum.  We don't have leaders, we have politicians.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

To answer your question -------- No they will not buy from us unless they have to.  

GMO laws are a bargaining tool against us.  It would be too obvious if they buy from us.

Send them the moldy ones and save the good ones for us, we are may need them in the next few months.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I was under the impression that the major GMO events in corn and beans were accepted as imports by the EU now. No?

0 Kudos