cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DW11
Veteran Contributor

Re: Export restrictions?

Let's see, this comment regarding export restrictions is made by a "Western Milling Analyst", presumably someone who works for a company that buys grain and presumably would benefit from the lower price of grain.  No! he wouldn't start spreading an unfounded rumor like this would he????  

Did you hear the other rumor??  Heard it from a farmer that his crop was horrible and that it would take $10 per bushel for him to sell his corn, although he will have very few bushels for sale.   

0 Kudos
toughguy189
Veteran Contributor

DW that second rumor i've heard...I'll stick with that one

0 Kudos
GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

I heard that same rumor, back in 2008.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

There is a lot of political risk to imposing an export restriction.  Plenty negativity in key agricultural states should make any candidate chary of risking a key state loss.  Farmers would raise cain about Carter and Nixon and similar fiascos, plus it would make any U.S. free trade talks look two-faced.

The ethanol mandate might be relaxed a little, but ethanol plants may be working with RINS anyway - how much differencie will it make in corn demand?

0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with the poster that price is doing its job,  Look at the export sales report, we aren't exporting corn, I've seen several medium sized feedlots for sale, Price action works, but at what cost in the long term. 

Everyone had ample oppurtunity to place call options in case of this kinda of problems.   They did not.   Everyone preachers Risk management,  Now use it.  

I am concerned about availabitly of corn for the food processing industry.  But i guess we'll just have to get by with less corn chips. 

If I'm correct alot of that corn came from the eastern belt.  

as far as taking years to rebuild soil mositure.  It doesn't take years.  Its a few good rains and we are back in business. 

This well be my 3 below 100 bushel average in 10 years on corn.  2 where back to back, I don't look for the drought to last into next year.   at least not of this magnitude.  If it does look for severe pumping restrictions in nebraska.  One area of the state I've been told has had problems with domestic wells going dry, one person had to drop her pump another 40 foot to hit water.  

Not good.   

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: All through society

People do without because they cannot afford stuff. Why try to limit exports or grain price when individual farmers may have 30 to 50% of their usual harvest to sell?

I'm somewhat amazed that some people worship at the altar of capitalism until it get uncomfortable for them personally. Then they want government to intervene to help them out.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: All through society

Folks on main street probably wish they had revenue insurance ---also find the word free in the trade logo some what interesting --- 

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I have it from a " good source"  that (because of the drought) monsanto will allow farmers to plant bin run soybean seed for 2013.

0 Kudos
Farmerjoe79
Senior Contributor

Gored husker in 2008 we were not in a drought. This year is totally different and we will hit ten once we get out in the fields and there is nothing to harvest. This weather pattern is not changing for the better. Yesterday would have been a good chance to get in if you need to cover some needs.
0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Google "Roundup Ready soybean patent expiration, 2012. A whole bunch of goings on in the courts right now...The just went in to court on the 20th of July to see if they can't get the patent terminated.

0 Kudos