cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Eyewitness Crop Report

farsider,

He told me that he is going to Minnesota later this week. So, yes, he will see what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hobbyfarmer,

I had to use some crafty language to catch your attention. Thanks for verifying that I chose the right word. Smiley Happy

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The thing that caught my eye -- was Indiana , Ohio and Eastern IL -- just OK ? just a average crop ?  I would like to know what route he took threw here - My guess is 70 , Thats 15 miles north of me - and I have seen only one field that would be called average going that way .

It seemed to me he was more interested in the bad than the good , maybe because it's where it's at .

BTW I hate chopped liver - lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Boy - everybody on this site sleeps in late !!!!!!!

Got to get to work ! See ya tomorrow moring --lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The whole thing boils down to a + or - thing

We start out every year with a 14B potential

After the planters start in early March every thing is then a + or a -

This year has very few +'s

ECIN 's back yard is a +

My back yard is a slight -

North 1/2 of Iowa, South part of Minn, parts of Wisc and Mo are bigger -'s

Neb is probably a + as a whole right now too

Ks all in all is an even break ...sucks out west and really blessed on the east.

Ill will produce, but probably a slight -

The whole deal boils down to an arithmetic (not high math, just arithmetic)

Can the good spots like in ECIN's back yard produce not only an average crop.

BUT such a good crop that it overshadows all the -'s from the largest single crop

production area here in the # 1, 2, and 4 states?

IF we get decent weather from here on out 13 could be do able. You have to bank on

a late freeze date to get-r-done though.

I still have a 150 potential here on the Hobby acreage in Iowa.

If I were a bettin feller I would place my bet on the under 13b crop.

Beans are the crop in trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Hobby, i've talked to 3 guys that will prevent plant BEANS now in north iowa. also, some intended prevent plant beans that got finagled to prevent plant corn. most of my soys just emerging and one field unplanted. I will be able to hold all my collossal corn crop in my present storage. sourcing corn outta north iowa will be tough. Can't have my old crop either, i'll probably hold that for $6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Ida,: that $6 is that corn or beans?

My last beans are just in the proscess of beaking through the crust and can just row them.

The weeds are coming like gang busters and I need sunshine to dry up the mud to spray them.

ECIN's corn will need to average 356 to even out the -'s

Anybody notice July starts THIS week?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I have September 19th circled on my calender.  If we can get by that full moon without a frost we have a chance at reaching maturity.  Any frost then or earlier and we're in deep doo-doo.  And that's almost 90 days away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@lsc76cat wrote:

I have September 19th circled on my calender.  If we can get by that full moon without a frost we have a chance at reaching maturity.  Any frost then or earlier and we're in deep doo-doo.  And that's almost 90 days away.

Just to make you feel better there is no correlation between full moons and frost so you can erase that circle.

On the other hand there is no guaranttee that there will not be a frost on Sept. 18

Around here average frost date is about Sept 20 but that is the average.

Frosts have come the last days of August (very light) and damaging as early as Sept 10th BUT other years as late as early November.

So do you feel better now that yo do not have to worry about Sept 19th but can spread the worry out over many days?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

My grandfather and uncle farmed in Martin County, MN and kept records going back to the 1920's.  I hear what you're saying but their records showed that nearly 70% of the time the first hard frost occurred within 2 days of a full moon.  Their definition of a hard frost was 28 degrees or below.

0 Kudos