cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Failing grade to the media

Two events yesterday were (should've been) in the news.  A nice rally in the grain markets....possibly because of news that China might be actually buying more U.S. Ag products to offset some of the trade deficit.    And.....the looming discussion and voting on a new farm bill.    

I would have to give a failing grade to the Ag media in general on covering the positive side of Ag news.  I would have to agree with the folks who have said that journalism is dying a slow death.

38 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Failing grade to the media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes, Tyne Morgan would report prospects of a "trade war" with tears in her eyes and I don`t mean to single her out, they all read from the same teleprompter.  You show them in black & white the trade DEFICIT that we run with some of these countries and it`s like talking to a zombie, it`s like logic and common sense is a foreign language to these people. 

But all you have to do is look at the advertisers and sponsors of a news publication or show and it`s all "news" that is run through their filter.   Editors do not want to offend those that indirectly sign their checks.  And those that advertise on these news outlets sort of benefit from the US running a trade deficit, a global industry doesn`t have the United States in their interest, they want to make a buck in their segment and to heck with the rest of us.  Cheap labor whether it`s abroad in their factories or domestically in their packing plants, that is the "flag" they make their pledge to  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We finally have a president that at least asks for fair trade, the swamp is running scared, trying desperately to "make it stop!" throwing Stormy Daniels and Russia Russia Russia at him.   Well what I have to say to the swamp wouldn`t pass by the censors.  

Veteran Advisor

One solution might be fore each of us to do some of our own research and not rely on media to interpret for us.  That would mean subscribing to basic government reports and actually reading them.  Nearly every country has news media, so one could try to see if something in the English press out of Great Britain, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Ukraine, Russia, China an Japan had something for us.  

One can use news aggregators to comb the news, just set up the parameters.

Of course, this would entail more work and time.

Some people with sometimes a different view are the Land Grant universities, the trade groups, and so forth.

I've gotten to where I don't even watch the news for the weather anymore.  Generally, one can do one's own searching on line and after a while develop a list of sources one is comfortable with.

I don't care who is president or whose agenda is being pushed.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm responsible to myself and my family for my farm decisions and that means while I consider typical news media I don't give them much weight compared to other sources.

I see many of you have less familiar sources you consider worthwhile so you are probably already do this.

Veteran Advisor

Sounds good on paper....but the market is irrational.
Veteran Advisor

"Sounds good on paper....but the market is irrational."

If the market is so irrational that researching does no good,then the news does no good, either,   So there is no sense in complaining about the news media not doing a good job.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Like blaming one nations media and reading another nations media to expect something different.

Jim does touch on one thing — if the media won’t do research we will have too. But is USDA, who does projection instead of research a source of information?
Or is that just hoping someone else will do it.

My experience is when presented with information most will ignore it given a choice, and believe a fanticy their comfortable with. Call it the “fringe” or farmers trying to sway the market. Or “conspiracy”.
I’d be comfortable with USDA’s view if did research outside the office. Then “outside sources” wouldn’t have to report on bean sales not included in USDA reports.
Media bankruptcy and government bankruptcy means they repeat what their told.
Good research costs money and time.
Senior Contributor

The markets are irrational, and we have emotion about them when they don't move the way we expect them to. Why? Because we have expectations in the market because of news, fundamentals, analysts reports, etc. Why? because we believe there is a reason The market moves in the direction it does, when in fact there is no reason! Learn your counterpart the trader learn how he thinks and trades. Follow smart money, and have no expectations in the markets movement.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Learn support and resistance lines and how to find them. Very important in tech analysis, they are respected by traders. Sept Corn broke resistance overnight. look at the news this morning before market open and then watch the trading today. I use td ameritrade. You can open up a papertrade account for free but it's 20minutes behind with no level 2 quotes. I like to watch level 2 quotes because you can watch the fake bids when they are trying to give false support and false resistance to the market or actually defending a support or resistance. You can also see the big orders that appear out of nowhere when they are buying. For those that might not know support or resistance I could post some learning material but don't know how on this sight. If anyone is interested I'll post it but someone is going to have to walk me through
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Wanna see something really funny? Look at the different months futures charts for corn on a one minute time frame and find out which one gapped above resistance first, how long it took, and how many contracts traded to get it there. Next see how long it took for the other contracts to follow the price trend! Every market has Market Makers and Market Chasers!
0 Kudos